Friday, November 1, 2013

Change

If you read my blog for any length of time you will realize that I am an advocate for change.  Yet, I really dislike when someone else changes what I do.  Today iGoogle stopped working.  At the time iGoogle started, they did not envision how apps would change over time.  They also don't understand that forcing people to change can really piss them off.  Mostly I am sad because I had a lot of picture and quote widgets that hung out in iGoogle changing daily or letting me know when someone updated their blog.  Unfortunately, iGoogle also did not envision how users get used to having their favorite toys available without some big bully sweeping them all away so they could get more money from selling and advertising on apps.  I see the little squares but none of them are my quote or picture apps.  I am not sure how I want to respond to this change.  Google is a big company and I remind myself that my little free apps weren't making them any money.  Interesting thing for me to realize is it is giving me an opportunity to find out what I value by going looking for away to get the apps again.  I love Einstein's quotes but I can search for them any time.  My app for fractals?  I think I will go hunting for away to see them regularly.  iGoogle glibly stated for months that there are other alternatives but I don't feel like looking for them.  It will give me a chance to streamline my computer use and use it less.  I wonder if Google envisioned people using computers less....nahhh they want to make more money and assume that people will keep coming no matter how they are treated.  Interesting thought.

Hope you are able to still see my updates.  I am not sure how to change my blog to stay on your readers list.  Today, I find out what life is like post iGoogle.  Missing my little widgets.


Widgets, internet candy that I kept in my iGoogle....all gone. 
 

6 comments:

Judy said...

So what you're saying is Google is narcissistic. Yes, they're a company, and they're business is to make money. However, they failed to remember that not everything comes with a monetary value. When you put a monetary value on everything, you cheapen some things that were previously priceless. I use Google less and less. I sign up for email notifications of blogs.

Ruth said...

I believe most big business are narcissistic. Occasionally I forget, but they remind me soon enough.

mulderfan said...

Still on my list and in my heart!

Cassandra said...

Looks like your blog stayed on my reading list OK, with updates showing.

But I wonder if this has something to do with The Queen and King not automatically showing up for me the last couple of days.

Ruth said...

Thanks mulderfan. Hugs.

Ruth said...

I'm glad you can still see my updates, Cassandra. No idea if your other blogs will be affected. (Or maybe it is effected, never sure on that one.)