Thursday, January 2, 2014

Doubt is a vulture?

http://theprojectbyjudy.wordpress.com/2013/12/19/new-perspective-on-doubt/ Judy shares this link....
http://nhwn.wordpress.com/2013/12/17/befriending-doubt/


When my sister writes, I tend to listen. She and her fellow blogger both wrote about the doubt that plagues writers.  Did I use the right word?  Did I phrase it in an understandable way?  I don't believe I am much of a writer other than this blog.  But doubt plagues me anyway.  Now, here is the interesting thing.  Doubt is much nicer now that I can remember what happened yesterday and the day before.  I can sometimes say, with conviction, these are the events on this or that occasion.  Other times I doubt myself with no feeling of conviction on anything.  Am I choosing the best goals for myself?  Is setting aside this project the right thing to do right now?  Are my pictures good enough?  This gets even harder when Doubts buddy Criticism moves into the picture.  For years, I used Criticism as a self check to see if what I am doing is the right thing to do.  Unfortunately, Criticism became so corrosive I didn't trust myself at all.  Criticism and Doubt need to be balanced with a belief in myself and courage.  Courage wouldn't be needed if everything is going smoothly.  Courage steps up and says, "Hey, Doubt, back off, I have things to do and you are slowing me way down."  Courage also looks Criticism right in the eye and replies, "I considered that possibility but I am heading in this direction for now."  I experienced the one-two punch delivered by Doubt and Criticism.  I didn't believe in myself at all and Courage didn't live at my house.  This is changing.  I am looking at this new year thinking, "The best is yet to come."  Courage is nudging me in the ribs with a quiet voice, "Buckle up Buttercup, we are in for a wild ride." 






No comments: