Friday, January 10, 2014

Whew

I finally do feel better.  Amazing what a weekend can do for you...just knowing it is coming is lovely. 

A new book arrived.  Don't Let Your Emotions Run Your Life by Scott E. Spraldlin, MA This book is recommended by MyCounselor.  I was puzzled at first.  Way back over 10 years ago when I started counseling...I had no connection with my emotions....none.  I could not tell you what I felt.  Then counseling helped me reconnect with the pesky things.  It was painful, difficult, frustrating, confusing, a veritable flood of disorganized yuck.  Much like Pandora's box, all the ugly screamed out.  I attempted to slam the door shut.  Then a whispered, "Wait..."  KavinCoach encouraged me over and over and over again to "Wait..." I doubted for what was I waiting? More pain, more suffering, more horrors that were all a part of my life that I drew a dark blanket over.  For what was I waiting?  Hope.  Peace.  Happiness.  Joy.  Those are all emotions too.  This past couple of months I discovered emotions full force and unregulated.  Exhausting business - emotions.  I am sitting here reminding myself this was why I stayed in counseling so I could feel.  My friend posted a quote by Oscar Wilde, "To live is the rarest thing in the world.  Most people exist, that is all."  I reposted the quote with the addition, "I existed until I could learn how to live."  I read the introduction to the book tonight.  I like it when I can see eye to eye with the author from the first pages.  His overview hit every point I am interested in learning:
Part I: The Nature of Emotion
Part II: Naming and Describing Your Emotions
Part III: Reducing Blocks to Emotion Regulation
Part IV: Leading an Emotional Skillful Life.
This looks good.  The Best is Yet to Come.

No comments: