Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Mostly Happy

I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances.  Martha Washington

 Please visit our websites at www.innerkiddies.com

  I am fascinated when the same quote pops up over and over from different sources. I can't decide if frequency pulls my attention or the quote is harmonizing with what I am believing already.  When I started counseling, I felt that most of the time I was fairly happy.  I didn't know I had super powers of making emotions, memories and thoughts disappear.  The rules were drastically changed with integration.  But over all I describe myself as more of a cork.  Put me down or hold me under, eventually I'll pop back up to happy.  I look for it.  I decide to find it.  Amazingly it just keeps showing up.  One of the books that altered my thinking about happy is Life's Uncertain, Eat Dessert First.  Interestingly, KavinCoach didn't like it.  I decided that was OK.  He didn't need to like it.  The book encouraged me to worry less and have more fun.  I still remember the advice it gave about choosing to be happy.  I decided to take the challenge.  I stepped outside and it was a cloudy day.  Bummer.  Clouds depressed me.  Well, I am determined.  So, I stood on the door step and stared out the clouds.  M A G I C A L.  The clouds looked like a humongous painting, like Heavenly Father painted a magnificent skyscape just for me.  I've loved clouds ever since. 




4 comments:

mulderfan said...

I like to say, "I may not always be happy, but I'm always optimistic."

The clouds remind me of the later works of British landscape artist, J. W. M. Turner. He was way ahead of his time with his impressionist style and the Victorians hated them!

Check him out when you get time!

Ruth said...

Wow. His work is amazing. Not the Victorian peaceful pastoral paintings expected at the time. However, his paintings are beautiful to me.

Cassandra said...

You've looked at clouds from both sides now.... ;)

Ruth said...

Yes I have.