Saturday, March 15, 2014

Choosing a feeling

http://positiveoutlooksblog.com/2014/03/14/i-am-choosing-happiness/


'I am choosing happiness' reminded me that not too many years ago I read the book Life's Uncertain, Eat Dessert First.  It introduced me to the concept of choosing an emotion.  I didn't believe it at first.  So, I put it to the test.  I decided that I would be happy the next morning.  I woke up to a cloudy day.  I hated cloudy days.  I always felt depressed on cloudy days like I needed a certain number of hours of sunshine to feel good.  I glared at the clouds for ruining my day before I even got out the door.  Then I thought about what I read and stared at the clouds....really looked at them.  The same clouds that moments before boded a gloomy day transformed with my new thoughts.  The clouds looked like a stunning oil painting.  The swirls and strokes through the clouds looked like Heavenly Father painted the sky just for me.  I felt happy.  I went on to the rest of my day.  The student I worked with was an absolute pain that day.  The thing that fascinated me was choosing happiness had nothing to do with the cloudy day or the ornery student.  It was all about me thinking about how I felt and choosing to be happy in that moment.  It didn't solve my depression.  That was a much bigger battle.  However, I started my first lessons on the power of thought and how it can effect my emotions.  By the way, I have learned to love cloudy days.


No comments: