Monday, March 31, 2014

Quiet helps lower stress

Thanks to Evan for sharing the link to this article on Yoga helping to lower stress.
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-03/uotm-yrs022714.php#.UxWOg6m3SZ0.google_plusone_share

Yoga, meditation, many other forms or disciplines all emphasize the benefits of time to shut down and be at peace.  Nature itself works in rhythms of  action, calming, and peace.  Spring explodes with color and growth, Summer reaches this zenith of becoming, Fall becomes a time of harvest and completing the cycle, then turning into the dead of Winter where the ground slumbers until the cycle begins once again.  Night follows day but electricity altered the natural quiet times created by the revolving of the Earth from day to night.  Living in a climate with only two seasons further scrambles the feeling of quiet following growth.  I tried sitting quietly from time to time....one of two things happen either my body is thrilled to hold still long enough to go to sleep and promptly does or my busy little brain thinks about all the things I should be up and doing.  I actually recite in my head, "Run, run as fast as you can, you can't catch me, I'm the gingerbread man."  My need to keep going surfaces especially when memories try to catch up with me.  If I stay busy enough, distracted enough, and running hard enough those pesky memories can't catch up with me.  Many of my sessions with MyCounselor were spent discussing the value of 'sitting' with an emotion.  Not burying it.  Not distracting myself from it.  Not avoiding it.  Sitting quietly with what I am feeling and allowing myself time to quietly figure out what is happening.  Time to just be.  Time to stare at clouds.  Time to rest from worries.  Time to be quiet. 







No comments: