Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Trusting myself

People who've experienced childhood trauma often grow up with a problem trusting themselves & trusting the world.
They don't believe in their own abilities to handle challenges that arise, & they don't see the world as a place where there are good things waiting for them.
Trauma makes a person feel helpless about overcoming obstacles or seeing their way through difficulties - if only because, as a child, they were unable to rescue themselves from the horrors they were experiencing.
Trauma, being so devastating, colors a person's perception of the world, altering their expectations.
The opportunities & possibilities that non-traumatized people look forward to aren't part of the mind-set of someone who's lived through trauma.
Part of the healing of trauma is for the person to see that today, they're empowered to face each challenge with creativity, intelligence, resourcefulness & resilience.
Part of this healing is to show the person that the world is not all bad, & that they don't have to accept the mediocre, or worse.
They can recognize that there are good things out there for them, if they're willing to work for these things.
Healing trauma isn't easy or quick, but it's possible, & a large part of it involves helping the person to learn to trust both themselves & the world.
 


Trust of any kind is difficult.  Trusting myself almost impossible.  Shattered in pieces I felt off balance most of my life.  Having every mistake trotted out and clarified as to why I made the mistake then admonished about what needs to be done so I never make the mistake again, underlined I couldn't trust myself to solve my problems.  It didn't matter that I worked hard to improve myself...some new error or slight mistake would be pointed out.  I became self-critical.  My abusers didn't need to say anything by my internalizing their criticism, I became my own worst enemy.  KavinCoach worked at teaching me to be self-accepting, see myself as a good person, and recognize my own God given power.  Concepts like integration, self kindness, and thriving were foreign and strange to me.  Each year I learn more.  I am seeing real progress in myself.  I am beginning to believe in dreams.  I am beginning to believe I can do what I set out to do.  Failure is only guaranteed if I don't try. 

No comments: