Monday, May 26, 2014

Comment Answer

Saturday's blog received a couple of comments.  I appreciate Tundra Woman's encouragement and mulderfan pointed out 2 important lessons. I like her Great-Aunt Kath. "I pleased my parents, I pleased my husband, I pleased my bosses, I pleased my kids. Now, it's bloody well time to please MYSELF!" ~ Great-aunt Kath

Tundra Woman said...

Ruth, FWIW, I've never seen you "ramble." Ever. And the process of going through the stressors to figure out what's up was a skill you were taught: Look at how successfully you're able to integrate those skills now without KevenCoach's "Presence." What I'm saying is in this situation and so many others I've seen you confront, those "Lessons Learned" have not some how disappeared when your Coach pinned on your "wings" and told you, "Yes, you're ready to fly solo now." And you were scared. With each successive challenge, you're gaining in a deep-down kind of knowledge the reality that, "Yes. I CAN do this!" And you are.
Aiye, *another* reflexive "Yes" woman! Oh, I do get this Ms. R. (sigh.) It's as if it's simply not enough to take on the task, we then take on the "worry responsibility" for it as well. I'm still challenged by this especially the "worry" part. I'm terrified at times-no, more correctly I terrify MYSELF-that I'll let someone down if I don't put their task right at the top of my list of other "top priorities" so I end up with all these mental "Priorities" sitting in the #1 spot and NOTHING in #'s 2, 3, 4 etc. (Yes, it's a silly looking mental "Priority List.") This has become particularly acute since I've started saying "No" more frequently simply because my body is forcing some real limitations. So when I DO say "Yes" I worry even MORE about the affirmatives. I can't trust my body any longer to "produce on demand" no matter how I try to mentally make it do what I know needs to be done secondary to my "yes." I can no longer mentally shame, blame, cajole, bribe etc. myself into doing it. I know this relates to a core value of mine in that if I say I'll do something, I'm gonna do it: I gave my word.
I hope this makes some sense and if it does, if you have any tips to share on managing the "worry responsibility" part of saying "Yes," I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! And if it doesn't make sense, I can well understand why ;)
TW


mulderfan said... A couple of hard won lessons I've learned:
1. NO is a complete sentence.
2. It's OK to ask for help.

A good quote from my great-aunt Kath, who was in her eighties when she said this, "I pleased my parents, I pleased my husband, I pleased my bosses, I pleased my kids. Now, it's bloody well time to please MYSELF!"


The interesting thing about being a people pleaser is realizing that some where in the shuffle you can loose yourself. A person may start out with the best intentions of being Christ like and putting other's self but they forget that Christ spent time alone, praying and renewing himself. Christ was asleep on the ship during the storm. His disciples woke him up when they were fretting about the storm. And Christ demonstrated healthy boundaries. He asked for help. He asked his disciples to pray with him. So when other people chide me for not being giving and Christ like for not doing everything they ask me to do, I recognize this as manipulation and nothing to do with Christ.

Tundra Woman asked, "if you have any tips to share on managing the "worry responsibility" part of saying "Yes," I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

I can tell you things not to do that perhaps will help since I am great at doing this stuff all wrong.  First of all don't destroy your own health meeting someone else's request/demands.

Second, keep in mind that the final results is still the responsibility of the person making the request.  I tend to forget this and make the problem mine when in reality the problem still belongs to the other person, I'm just helping out. 

Third, and this is a big one, remind myself how many times I have succeeded.  Abusers tend to point out short comings and use that as a whip to keep me doing what they want me to do.  However, if I remind myself how many things I have done things right and the task is well within my skill set that takes a lot of worry out of a situation.  For example, someone asked me to solve a problem on a computer, I spent 14 years solving computer problems, setup several computer labs, and built computers.  I have the skills, I need to believe in my own ability of things I have already done.

Forth, is the newest one that I am working on, worry is an emotion....if I ignore or suppress an emotion it takes energy.  My goal, I am emphasizing that this is a theory in progress, is to acknowledge how I feel, then work out a plan to solve the problem.  Thank the worry emotion for bringing to mind possible glitches to my plan then allow worry to walk off my mind's stage and ask "Can do" attitude to step up.  However, for me this is very important, if I don't have any control over the out come, I give myself permission to stop worrying.  This is a fairly new experience of truly letting go of a problem that is unresolved.  I did it with one of the problems at school.  I will no better in August how it turns out since start of the new year with not doing stuff in May to be ready....not sure how this one will pan out.

One last aspect of worry that I am working on is "Who's worry is it?"  I am hypersensitive to other people's emotion.  I had to be.  My mother's current emotion could affect me greatly if she was pissed off at my Dad, my head would roll.  I catered to her emotions of worry, distress, anger, frustration, and other volatile emotions as a matter of survival.  This is something KavinCoach talked to me often.  I would tell him about some worry I had then he would ask if the problem was actually mine or someone else's.  I was confused at first, I had no emotional boundaries.  I learned that some of the "worry" I experienced was actually responding to someone else worrying.  I can not do anything about someone else's worry.  So if the worry emotion doesn't belong to me in the first place, I am returning to sender.   This is also a new activity for me.

TW, I hope these suggestions I am working on to solve my own 'over worry' will be helpful to you. 


Reader's, I would appreciate any other suggestions on what works for you to kill the worry bug.  Thanks.













3 comments:

Judy said...

Regarding handling worry: I sometimes find it helpful to write out all the possible scenarios, from the most logical to the impossible (but it pops into my head anyway). Seeing it in writing helps me recognize what's real and what's awfulizing. Once I recognize what's real, I'm better able to plan how to handle it.

Tundra Woman said...

Oh, yes, Ms. R., you nailed it especially with the paragraph: "...the final results is still the responsibility of the person MAKING THE REQUEST." That hit me instantly. I've never thought about it like that. That's *exactly* where I'm getting all tied up, separating Mine and Thine. Also, "Forth, worry is an EMOTION" and the rest of your observation is right on. I need to ponder this awhile and then devise a plan to identify when it's happening and "hand it back." Back to the whole "People Pleasing" thing: I thought I slayed that dragon years ago; for the most part I have been pretty successful and here it is all over again, just presented in a different form. I'm doing well with saying "No" overall. So the "Yes's" I DO accede to become that much more important to ME-and I'm sticking "Me" on the other person: Ouch, indeed, that's precisely what I'm doing. *They don't care or worry anywhere NEAR the way I do.*<Huh. Just realized that. And they're not asking me to either-I AM. (It's also tied in with that core value I mentioned in my last comment.) Again, the theme is "Mine and Thine" as well as People Pleasing. I really do want to engage in the activities etc. that I've agreed to-it's truly "fun stuff." Because of the medical challenges (that I don't talk about aside from my Primary to whom I don't mention or forget to mention some of the weirder stuff, and my BFF-the other antique Rita-and another Blogger) and it's *unpredictability,* I just.never.know how I'm going to physically feel or be able to function from day to day. (YES-this drives me nuts. Really. ^And that was one long run-on sentence!) For the most part, I'm able to mask this in public successfully. As Rita observed, "TW, you present too WELL. You look too good, too high functioning to be so sick." (HA! They're not seeing me slobbing around the house and I don't want them to-just, NO!) She also hit me with this a few times recently, "Yk, you NEVER want to be beholden to anyone ever: You *over-compensate.*" True, true, true. She's not telling me these things to hurt me in any way at all, just sharing as best friends for decades do. I know where this comes from and I *can* ask for help with some things, but not with others. As things progress medically-and they will, but unpredictably-this will be a re-current challenge. I better get a plan in place for this reality.
Thanks, Ms. R. I see I have some work to do, some "re-visiting" to untangle, once again, The Ghosts From the Past and get them up-dated in light of the realistic present. "To acknowledge how I feel (check) and work out a plan to solve the problem."
Exactly. Maybe I'm being a little too quiet about what's up with me. I need to learn and BE a bit more self-disclosing appropriately instead of so private. I've been told I'm "secretive"-wow, what a shock that was-because I'm just IMO private in a world that seems to me to value and promote over-self disclosure. I'm not at all comfortable with that kind of gratuitous "Looka MEEE!" stuff. Yeah, but underneath that may well be a Trust component.<Aiye, another-just-hit-me-observation and yep, I know the genesis of this as well. So much of all of this ties into Trust, Self-Disclosure, Personal Values and my AC Legacy. It's quite a wake-up call to realize other ACs on Blogs know more about me and my experiences past and present than anyone aside from Rita. And even she only has the Tip of the Truth, and in the present, just the medical stuff. Well, most of it ;)
Thank you, Ruth. Lots of good stuff here for thought AND action-I'm so pleased you immediately nailed what I was saying and were able to help. I very much appreciate it-Thanks! I'm going to be doing a LOT of thinking for awhile here and come up with a Plan that's Reality-Based for me as I am NOW.
TW

mulderfan said...

There are two days in every week
about which we should not worry,
Two days which should be kept free of fear and apprehension.

One of these days is YESTERDAY,
With its mistakes and cares,
Its faults and blunders,
Its aches and pains.
YESTERDAY has passed forever beyond our control.

All the money in the world cannot bring back YESTERDAY.
We cannot undo a single act we performed;
We cannot erase a single word we said.
YESTERDAY is gone.

The other day we should not worry about is TOMORROW
With its possible adversities, its burdens, its larger promise.
TOMORROW is also beyond our immediate control.

TOMORROW, the sun will rise,
Either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds,
But it will rise.
Until it does, we have no stake in TOMORROW
For it is as yet unborn.

This leaves only one day - TODAY.
Any man can fight the battles of just one day.
It is only when you and I add the burdens of those two awful eternities
- YESTERDAY and TOMORROW -
That we break down.

It is not the experience of TODAY that drives men mad.
It is remorse or bitterness for something which happened YESTERDAY
And the dread of what TOMORROW may bring.

Let us, therefore, live but ONE day at a time.

Author unknown