Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Comments continue Awfulizing

There are two days in every week
about which we should not worry,
Two days which should be kept free of fear and apprehension.

One of these days is YESTERDAY,
With its mistakes and cares,
Its faults and blunders,
Its aches and pains.
YESTERDAY has passed forever beyond our control.

All the money in the world cannot bring back YESTERDAY.
We cannot undo a single act we performed;
We cannot erase a single word we said.
YESTERDAY is gone.

The other day we should not worry about is TOMORROW
With its possible adversities, its burdens, its larger promise.
TOMORROW is also beyond our immediate control.

TOMORROW, the sun will rise,
Either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds,
But it will rise.
Until it does, we have no stake in TOMORROW
For it is as yet unborn.

This leaves only one day - TODAY.
Any man can fight the battles of just one day.
It is only when you and I add the burdens of those two awful eternities
- YESTERDAY and TOMORROW -
That we break down.

It is not the experience of TODAY that drives men mad.
It is remorse or bitterness for something which happened YESTERDAY
And the dread of what TOMORROW may bring.

Let us, therefore, live but ONE day at a time.

Author unknown

Thanks mulderfan.  I love this poem and work at trying to emulate it.  I do know from experience that there are things that if I do them today I am better prepared for tomorrow.  I also learned that sometimes I really did screw up something yesterday and need to apologize today.  However, worrying about either is like the woman told me that worrying is like a rocking chair. It takes your energy without getting anywhere.


Judy's comment "Regarding handling worry: I sometimes find it helpful to write out all the possible scenarios, from the most logical to the impossible (but it pops into my head anyway). Seeing it in writing helps me recognize what's real and what's awfulizing. Once I recognize what's real, I'm better able to plan how to handle it."

Awfulizing is the technique of seeing all the worse possible scenarios with no possible solution. 

 http://www.intropsych.com/ch13_therapies/ten_irrational_ideas.html
Irrational idea #4 is awfulizing: the idea that you have to view things as awful, terrible, and horrible when things go wrong.
"I can't stand it" is a common remark heard in therapy. Ellis disputed this assertion when he heard it, or when he heard somebody say they could not "bear" something. People use these statements to express emotion; they do not mean them literally. Ellis forced his clients to confront the fact that such statements cannot be taken literally. They do not suggest a constructive course of action. If taken seriously, they can paralyze you. Repeating to yourself "I can't stand it" is like self-hypnosis. Pretty soon you can't stand it. Better to say to yourself, "This bothers the heck out of me, but I guess I can survive it."

I like that not only did Ellis define it, he explained how to refute it.  
  
Worry, awfulizing, and many negative emotions take energy to repress them.  Saying just stop it rarely gains the needed results.  Processing it also takes energy but much less and a finished results of "I may not like what is happening, but I can cope. I have the skills, determination and willingness to ask for help when needed."   Our thoughts are our demise and our power. 

3 comments:

mulderfan said...

One of my favourite things to talk about when I'm speaking at meetings is "catastrophizing". Back when I was drinking, if the washing machine broke down it was catastrophic proof that the world was out to get me. Today, it just means the damn washing machine broke down.

Ruth said...

Yup, catastrophizing is another word for it. Thanks for the comment.

Tundra Woman said...

Yep. I've been "Awfulizing" for years and *still* find myself slipping into it. It's completely irrational. I remember being in my early 20's and saying-in absolute truthfulness-to a good friend, "Yk, if there was nothing to worry about, I'd invent something: It feels NORMAL to me."
From this time and distance, that's just sad: I was so young and such an anxiety-ridden wreck. And so unnecessary. I'm paying closer, much closer attention to my internal world as this "old way" creeps up before I'm really aware of it.
Thanks all. I really appreciate your thoughts and ideas very much.
TW