Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Music

This week on Facebook two pictures came through.  One was a picture of a brain with the word music written with the twist and turns of the gray matter.  It illustrates how music affects the entire brain.  When music is played all parts of the brain 'light up' electronically.  It is like our brains are hard wire to respond to music.  Ear worms are those annoying little ditties that get stuck in your head and you realize that you are humming "bippity-boppity-boo" riding the elevator to a business meeting.  A second picture on Facebook had a popular song from my teen years paired with a current song that is played now.  The first about lost love and how you will do what you can to get back together.  The second one pounds out "Stupid Ho"  over and over and over and over.  Add this to me reading a book on how our brains are hard wire differently between male and female...then I am reading another book on ritual abuse.  RA uses music in the most negative way possible to brainwash a child into believing almost anything.  I realize that music is used for good or bad.  This morning I woke up with the song running through my head, "Ere you left your room this morning....did you think to pray?"  Music has power.  What we choose to listen to affects and reflects what we think, say, and do.  I am partially deaf so I don't hear most lyrics but I realized, even if my conscious mind doesn't retain the information, my subconscious does.  If I find myself listening to dark, sad, negative music....I am already feeling this way in the first place or I will soon be feeling a way that reflects the music.  One simple place to start in overcoming depression is with the music a person listens to all day long.  Not every song effects people the same way.  A thought I had this morning is to go through my music and put the music that brings me down to the back of the music drawer or bottom of the play list.  If I go for those songs, I need to ask myself, what am I feeling right now that I want to listen to this type of music?




 




1 comment:

Judy said...

Interesting idea to put the darker music at the bottom and using it to help you be aware of a downward slide.