Wednesday, June 18, 2014

5 Ways to fight depression


http://sethadamsmith.com/2014/04/16/five-ways-to-fight-depression/

I'm always looking for more options.  Different ways to approach a problem.  In counseling, KavinCoach explained that healthy people have a variety of tools in their mental tool box for when life gets tough.  You notice it is when and not if.  Life is for living and sometimes it is an up hill battle.  There are potholes, cliffs, and obstacles.  Crap happens....some days are worse or better than others.  The thing about having a variety of tools is not all of them work the same for all people and sometimes I need to use quite few of my tools before I feel better.  The cool thing about healthy people is lots of tools to use.  Children were born mimics but if a child is surrounded by unhealthy people it is hard to develop coping tools.  Many years in counseling were spent building an arsenal of tools.  I also learned that there are hazards to using some tools.  

Seth Adam Smith survived a suicide attempt thanks to his father.  He speaks openly of the challenges he faces.  I admire his writing.  I highly recommend reading his article.  But the purpose of my blog is to share my perspective. 


1. Speak With a Trusted Friend (or Two, or Three)
 The disadvantage I have with PTSD is I struggle with trust issues.  Someone that feels comfortable is often another abuser.  My judgement of who is trustworthy and who to avoid is shaky at best.  I may share information with someone that isn't trustworthy.  Or the person may be an abuser and use the information to hurt me.....sound paranoid?  Or realistic?  One of the conversations that I had with KavinCoach was joking that I had some sort of target on my back that said, "Abuse me."  He replied that I did.  What????? My life is tough enough.  He went on to explain that victims have certain behaviors that abusers recognize.  That is why he spent many, many sessions trying to teach me to lose the victim attitude.  He taught me the skills to move from victim to survivor and on to thrivor.  I am learning how to gain trust by sharing a little information and observe how the person reacts with what I share.  I am starting to learn that trustworthy people treat me with respect. I am happy to say I have trusted friends now.   Blessedly some of them are in my family. 

2. Seek Professional Help
I like Seth's example of treating depression like a broken bone.  I discovered an interesting paradox.  When I had cancer, everyone assumed I would get medical treatment.  When I was diagnosed with PTSD, people talked to me often about not really needing counseling....maybe you are depending too much on someone else.  How weird is that?  Unfortunately, the reality is, in some circles, there is a stigma for getting help with emotional problems.  Sadly, there are people that will ridicule me or cut me off because I share with them that I have mental problems.  However, I agree with Seth....seek help for depression, PTSD or any mental or emotional problems.  Professional help makes a difference.  Also a gentle reminder that when I had cancer I didn't go to a bone doctor.  When I have PTSD I look for a counselor with experience with PTSD.  I also recognize that the client/therapist relationship is complex and not every good therapist is good for me.  

 3. Look for Humor
 I was first introduced to the idea of using humor to heal is in Norman Cousins', Anatomy of an Illness.  Laughing at life lightens the load.  I love to life.  I learned that laughter is a great stress reliever.  It is also an indicator of not enough sleep.  If everything is hilarious, there is a good possibility that I am overtired.  Also laughter can be totally inappropriate, for example a nervous laugh or totally not understanding the seriousness of a problem.  "He who laughs last, knows how bad things are."  Usually humor is a wonderful tool.  Recognizing that laughter isn't always an indicator of humor is helpful in gaining insight to myself.  (PS. I read Reader's Digest for the jokes.)  I love to laugh and enjoy finding life's little quirky surprises. 

4. Boost Your Moods
 I love Seth's description of staying out of the manure by staying out of the pasture.  I also remember reading about a heckler criticizing Zig Zigler that motivation doesn't last.  His reply, "People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily." I like hanging out at my Facebook page because I have Liked pages that bring uplifting messages and photographs daily.  I like singing upbeat songs.  I learned by surrounding myself with positive, I tend to live my life in a more positive direction.  Not guaranteed, just upping my chances. 

5. Diet and Exercise
I agree with Seth....it works.  I spent the last year changing my diet and increasing my exercise.  The results are in - with the help of medication, diet change and more exercise, I brought my cholesterol down from over 400 to 168.  Now people will argue that is the physical benefit.  Well in my opinion, the emotional effects are equally impressive just no little numbers to attache to any indicators.  I can tell when I have a week with no exercises....the world just seems worse.  I watched my Dad for years use exercise as a stress relief.  I also learned with my sister that what is good for her isn't always good for me.  I can have whole grains and she can't.  She enjoys a variety of foods that I don't enjoy.  Also exercise programs vary.  I struggled with keeping to any exercise program for more than a couple of months.  Then my daughter bought me Zumba class pass.  What a blast I had.  I danced my way back into shape.  I am now working out with Bob Harper video and can actually do 90% of a intense work out.  An added benefit was losing about 20% of my body weight.  I feel much better physically and mental when I eat well and dance my heart to health. 

These are just a few of the tools that can be used.  Others that pop to mind quickly is doing something creative, cuddle a toddler, help someone else, read scriptures, pray, yoga, meditation, get enough sleep, the list could go on and on and on. 

What is your favorite way to beat the blues? 









No comments: