Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Saga Continues

My parents blew it.  I told them to be nice to my sister and work with her, because she is nicer than I am.  They didn't cooperate with her at all.  So yesterday, I sat down with them and worked through what needed to be done this week.  I made the decision that my mother can no longer drive so I take responsibility to transport them to their doctor visit.  Heavenly Father blessed me with a miracle in the shape of a lovely elderly friend of my parents who brought an application for them to use Dial-a-ride.  I was delighted.  Another piece to the puzzle on how to keep my parents from driving and give them their independence.  They can call for Dial-a-ride and go where ever they need to go.  My mother sat dejectedly appearing to be compliant.  I knew that look.  I knew she wasn't really listening to our solutions that we were working on.  I kept watching her.  At the end, I asked if there was any other concerns about driving.  She brought up a church commitment, I found a solution.  Her eyes flashed for a brief second.  I knew something was coming next.  I calmly asked again if there was anything else.  I should know by now that she wouldn't attack me directly with my husband sitting next to me.  She instead verbally needled a subject that she knew would hurt my sister.  The whole time she was talking she was looking between my sister and I to see who she could draw emotional blood from first.  She hit the mark with my sister.  Judy shares her perspective on her blog.
http://theprojectbyjudy.wordpress.com/2014/06/17/truce-is-over/
I really did warn my parent to be nice to my sister because she is nicer than I am.  Now, they will be dealing with me.  I know that sometimes people are able to walk away from abusive parents.  I admire them tremendously.  I think if they were in a nursing home of some type and they had no car I would walk away.  Unfortunately, they still have a car and current drivers licenses.  I feel like my job is to get my mother off the road.  This means I am still engaged.  However, using the 10 steps I outlined on Monday (yes I reviewed them before going to their house) I am able to have a conversation that solves issues without hurting me.  Fortunately, my mother piously declared that my sister and I cannot raise our voices at her.  Cool.  That means the next time she hysterically shouts at me I can calmly reply that she may not raise her voice at me.  Yup, this is going my way.  The encounter ended on an unpleasant note.  That is ok.  A healthy reminder that I am not working with nice old folks that need a little help as they age.  I am working with someone that is seething in anger and wants to find someone to vent her rage.  I'm not it.  My husband commented that he hadn't seen her act like that before.  Yup, the mask is coming off and others are seeing what my sister and I have known for years.  My mother is not acting any differently than she did when I was a child....just more people are seeing how she behaves.  It really is sad in many ways.  But pity does not lower my boundaries.  Through out the conversation I kept my boundaries firmly in place. 

Really.....


6 comments:

Evan said...

You are doing remarkably well.

And I know how fraught the driving issue can be from personal experience.

Ruth said...

Thanks Evan.

mulderfan said...

My father had an accident 6 years ago when he was 89. I lied and told him the car couldn't be fixed then sold it after getting him to sign the paperwork. Then I lied again and told him, if you don't have a car, you have to get your license cancelled. Before he could think that through I took him to the license office and while I was there produced my mother's power of attorney and cancelled her license too. It wasn't too long before my father asked how my brother who doesn't own a car is allowed to drive when he rents one. I lied again and said I had no idea.
This was back in the days when I was care-taking everyone, except then I was care-taking all the innocent people who might encounter a crazy old bugger like my father on the road.
At first, it seemed like I had shot myself in the foot, but when I no longer acted as chauffeur, they suddenly discovered half-price taxis for seniors.
Amazing what they learn to do when their favourite doormat gets up off the floor!

Ruth said...

I'll keep this in mind. Thank you.

Tundra Woman said...

The only way I found to make the "no driving" work was to eliminate the vehicle, period the end. Otherwise, the one you don't want driving drives the other one insane. You can involve their MD in the decision and they will contact DMV and tell them to revoke the license but if the vehicle is still available, they'll drive. sigh. Now, they have no license AND no insurance.
IMO, you and sis did great, Ruth. Please give yourself credit: You seem to focus on what went "wrong" instead of what went right! ;) Remember who you're talking to here-you're only one half the equation and the other half has absolutely no intention of hearing you!
TW

Ruth said...

Thanks for the reminder TW that I need to focus on how many things went right that day.