Thursday, June 26, 2014

Pocket full of posies

Ring-a-round the rosies
Pocket full of posies
Ashes, ashes
We all fall down

The old nursery rhyme is rumored to be about the black death and using flowers to ward off an ugly end. Checked Snopes and it is believed to come about in the 1800's when dancing was prohibited and this was a way to dance without actually dancing.  Which ever way you want to play it, pocket full of posies was believed to keep illness and death at bay.  Today, I went to a doTerra class and listened to their ideas about aroma therapy and essential oils effect on moods.  Long before today, I knew about essential oils.  I first learned about their uses in Young Living over 20 years ago.  I used them for awhile but stopped using them when I ran out.  (They are very expensive.)  Before using them I did my own research at the library.  Research on line is much easier now.  Aroma can be a massive trigger.  I was rudely reminded today.  I smelled one scent today that my immediate reaction was my stomach clenching to throw up.  The scent was actually very nice but some where in my brain I had a repulsive memory associated with that scent.  "The "smell" receptors in your nose communicate with parts of your brain (the amygdala and hippocampus) that serve as storehouses for emotions and memories." https://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/treatment/aromatherapy  Most of the time I buy essential oils from either Sprouts or Whole Foods, however, doTerra had some lovely combinations that appealed at a very basic level for me.  Back to class.  What I thought was so interesting was their explanation to buy several then keep a reaction diary writing what I thought of the oil...did my mind feel foggier or clear?  Do I feel more relaxed?  And other self checking questions to decide if the oil was helpful or not.  They suggested checking for about 2 hours.  Tonight I try frankincense.  Hopefully I'll get more than 4 hours of sleep.
My friend's doTerra link http://www.mydoterra.com/peakatessentialoils/



1 comment:

Kara said...

Hi Ruth,
I have found the oils very helpful too. For anxiety I use Frankincense, Grapefruit and Lavender. I put a few drops in an oil burner and leave it on all day. Also Rose is very good for dealing with trauma. I look forward to hear how you get on with them.
Kara xx
P.S.
Thank you so much too for sharing what has been going on with your parents. It helped me a lot during my parents visit. I remembered what you had said about putting physical objects between you and your mother and I used it. It worked great.