Monday, June 23, 2014

Perfectionist disease

How To Get Over The Perfectionist’s Dilemma

http://impossiblehq.com/perfectionists-dilemma

I've mentioned and shared Joel's blog before.  His perspective was something I needed to hear right now.  Since I like different perspectives I am also posting a link to FlyLady's tirade on perfection. If you go to her web page and type 'perfection' into the search you will get a list of posts.  Perfection is one of FlyLady's pet peeves.  I chose this one today because it speaks to what I am feeling right now:

 http://www.flylady.net/d/br/2013/10/31/the-albatross-around-your-neck-4/
Life is too short to allow perfectionism to steal your days and your joy. Celebrate everything; Don’t get dragged down into the pit of despair because it will never be that good again. It is all in how you look at things.

 I admit I am not perfect.  I do know where some of my pressure came from....in an effort to win her place in Heaven my mother attempted to follow the scripture "Be ye therefore perfect." Matthew 5:48.  However, I noticed that she left out the part that says, "even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."  Christ doesn't ask us to be perfect by the world's standard He's asking us to be perfect by Heavenly Father's standards.  Plus the scripture comes after the Sermon on the Mount and Christ gives the Beatitudes. 

 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
 10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
 12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.
 13 ¶Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
 14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
 15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Did anyone notice like I did that no where on this list does it say keep a perfectly clean house or a perfect job or be perfectly happy?  The very first beatitude reads, "Blessed are they that mourn...." Wait what?  No matter which way I interpret that phrase I do not get 'perfectly happy' out of the meaning.  Yup, people may interpret several different ways but happiness is not expected, guaranteed or demanded.  My house is messy....I know it.  I have attempted to be perfectly clean and organized for years.  This morning, I accepted it is not going to happen.  But I can take Joel's reminder of the 80/20 rule and get 80% of the house looking pretty good.  If you come to my house, don't plan on a 'white glove' inspection....not going to happen.  I love the mantra endorsed my FlyLady and AA - "Progress Not Perfection."


 

No comments: