Saturday, June 7, 2014

We're Done

Tragic circumstances sometimes bind a country together or can blow a family apart.  A pacemaker in my Dad, a very strung out, tense, and worrisome situation.  The possibility of our family pulling together to get over a hurdle existed.  It started out hopeful in a difficult situation but quickly turned ugly when mommy dearest manned the battle stations because we dared to take her car keys away.  She's 85 and totaled their car in the last 6 months.  She shuffles when she walks.  She can barely get her feet in the car.  She grimaces and she groans as she struggles in the car.  She hysterically exclaims she is not going to answer the phone when people call inquiring about how my Dad is doing.  She demands that you feel her feet so you know the agony she is in every moment of her day.  My way of thinking if she can't walk to the phone because her feet can't bare it then breaking a car in an emergency is totally beyond her capability....details.  She wants her independence and she will lie, pout, scream her way to what she wants.  This whole ordeal has brought out the worse in mother.  My sister and I don't have one patient we have two, one is physically ill and the other one is mentally ill.  I watched with awe as my sister told our irresponsible parents that she was done with trying to care for and watch over them.  I agree.  I am so tired I fell asleep at a restaurant that we visited with a friend.  But they blithely ignore doctor's advice, seek another answer they like better from someone else, and don't take into consideration that my Dad died on the operating table.  He could die if he doesn't take care of himself and that would leave mother here.  Not just no but hell no.  Well, my sister put her boundaries back into place.  I watched and supported her.  My husband stood with us and watched as mother desperately tried to manipulate my sister. My sister said she was done and I stand with her.  We learned today that there is no happy family for us.  We're sad.  We'll survive, we always have.  I am really proud of my sister.  She is an amazing woman and not knowing her is my parents' loss. 






3 comments:

mulderfan said...

I now believe, that some families are train wrecks waiting to happen and you can't stop them by lying on the tracks. IMO, even if both you and Judy sacrificed yourselves, your parents are so determined to derail their train it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

The last two words I spoke to my dad were, "I'm done." Just like you and Judy, I'd given it my best shot and sacrificed more than enough of my time and sanity to their dysfunction. In the end, the loss is theirs not ours.

Tundra Woman said...

I'm so sorry for you and your sister. You've both tried so hard for so long to manage your parents and maintain your own dignity and humanity. When the parties on the other side are pushing back furiously, they're actively fighting you all.the.time, it's exhausting. You want to do the "right thing," the "humane thing" BUT the appalling lack of cooperation (never mind consideration) renders your efforts a Sisyphusian task. I don't know how your sister and you do this, I truly don't. Even if caring for them was the *only* task in your daily lives, please remember even professional caretakers get time off to rest and recharge.
I'm just going to make this suggestion FWIW: Contact your county's Office for the Aging. They have all kinds of services including services to provide respite for caretakers. These are not Needs-Based Programs. I watched as a dear friend sacrificed her entire life over a period of years to care for her Dad-who was *nothing* like your parents. Every area of her well-being suffered as a result. She told me if she was ever placed or placed herself in that position again, she would never do it without outside assistance-and she was in her late 30's to 40's at that time. Please consider getting some additional help: You don't have to do this alone.
Best wishes to you and sis. It' very clear you love and support one another and that's such a gift in itself. Nonetheless, the day in/day out demands are exhausting, frustrating and infuriating in every way.
TW

Anonymous said...

You and your sweet sister are in my prayers. You are amazing and you deserve gratitude instead of grief. I am so sorry.