Tuesday, July 16, 2013

How do I feel after?

On my post Flashbacks http://weareone-ruth.blogspot.com/2013/07/flashbacks.html T asked me how I feel afterwards.  This is my short answer, "After a severe one, I feel disoriented and exhausted. I usually end up sleeping for several hours then need several days to recover."  The long answer is far more complicated.  A flashback at home, I retreat to my room and hang on through the memory mind storm.  Unfortunately, my worse flashbacks occurred away from home.  The situations gave me no clue that there would be a problem.  One of them I mentioned in the earlier post when I was being fitted for hearing aides.  Nothing in my counseling prepared me for the massive switch to my past.  I was unaware of where I was or what was actually happening until I found myself on the floor whimpering that I would be good.  I was mortified and terribly embarrassed.  I immediately apologized then contacted KavinCoach as quickly as possible to sort out what was happening.  I still don't have a complete memory to why I behaved the way I did.  I believe this is one of the reasons why people with PTSD are afraid to go out in public.  Dealing with the aftermath of a complete flashback melt down is hard enough when there is just me.  Throw in a stranger or two and it is a recipe for disaster.  I was afraid that I might have a flashback at work.  A major break in behavior is difficult to explain.  Fortunately, education is spreading.  More people are becoming more aware of the challenges some people face with PTSD. I am still wearing hearing aides.  I tried several styles until I found one that caused me the least amount of anxiety.  Now when I am fitted for hearing aides, I prep myself for the experience.  Wearing my hearing aides everyday helped me to desensitize this extreme reaction.  The healthier I become the fewer flashbacks occur.  I don't say that I am cured of flashbacks but now I am more confident in recognizing early signs of distress and not as likely to trigger a flashback.  In the words of J.K. Rawling, "Mischief Managed."

2 comments:

mulderfan said...

IMO The whole hearing aide thing is an ordeal! First off they take away my hearing aides which makes me almost completely deaf and disoriented. Oddly, my balance seems to hinge on whether or not I can hear. Then the tiny booth they put you in to do the hearing test freaks me out. After that I just want to get the hell out but have to stay for the earpiece molds. Then $4000 super duper hearing aides and they useless anywhere there's background noise! Hate it!!!

Ruth said...

Yup, that describes it fairly well.