Sunday, July 14, 2013

Weeds

Often I am inspired by another blogger's post.  I appreciate the many people that share their story and a bit of their courage.  I am inspired to keep going.  Today's inspiration came from ***Reunited Selves***: http://reunitedselves.blogspot.com/2013/07/weeds-among-flowers.html
I encourage you to read her original post. 
This is my comment: "One of my favorite pictures is a weed by the road way. Thriving and growing in spite of the dangerous location. I heard once that a weed is a flower that grows in unexpected places. A watermelon is a weed in a strawberry patch. I learned the value of so called weeds. Weeds are beautiful."

How many times did I feel out of place?  How many times did I feel like I didn't belong?  How many times did I look at others and envy their sense of belonging?  What I didn't know was how many times did those around me feel exactly the same? 

I  lived in a part of Washington state that was considered one of the coldest spots in the continental United States, Alaska was colder longer.  I actually rejoiced to see dandelions blooming after months of snow and brown dead plants.  One year I was astounded to see almost 40 dandelions in our yard, then one took off.  There were only a few dandelions giving their nectar to a flock of yellow finches.  I learned that dandelions are an essential food for bees to start their nest humming for the rest of spring.  I learned about the spicy flavor added to salads by young green tumbleweed sprouts. Weeds are amazing when you take the time to get to know them.  To me, weeds are beautiful. 









2 comments:

Laurel Hawkes said...

Dandelion leaves add a spicy flavor to salads. They also have herbal benefits. We should be cultivating dandelions... :-)

TR said...

Great post; funny how weeds are different to me now. Thank you, TR