Thursday, September 25, 2014

Tell me one thing that I do which makes your mental health better?

  This is a series of post answering questions posed by Kevin's daughter.  I asked permission to answer each of these questions as if I was answering my adult children.  I will also include a link to Kevin's answer. (I don't read his blog until after I write mine.)


http://voicesofglass.wordpress.com/2014/09/19/tell-me-one-thing-that-i-do-which-makes-your-mental-health-better-qtapwmi-day-08/

8. Tell me one thing that I do which makes your mental health better?


I feel concern for the question behind the question.  Are you asking me if you can fix my mental health issues?  Not anyone's responsibility to fix me except me. If you are simply asking how to make your mother feel better keep in mind I am a person.  I love visiting with you.  I appreciate your trust when you let me come and babysit your children. PTSD is a problem that is in my life but doesn't define who I am.  I like walks, taking grandkids to the park, visiting, playing games, all sorts of things bring an element of fun and Joy.  My mental illness rarely leaves my side but it still isn't me.  I know there are days you would debate this.  However, I worked for a long, long time working at separating myself from my illness.  Your love and acceptance does wonderful things in my life.  My mental health is my responsibility.  I have watched my mental health decrease over the past few months.  It is my responsibility to find a new counselor to help me since what I am doing on my own is working.  Your love supports me and reminds me why it is worth continuing the uphill battle.  I don't want PTSD to be my life.  I want your dad, my sister, and all of you to be the most important thing in my life.  


No comments: