Sunday, July 22, 2012

Boundary - words

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

Words create the boundaries that we do not see.  If you doubt that words create boundaries, try saying 'No'.  Instant boundary, I will not do this or that.  No is a powerful word and many are afraid to use.  A 'no' could result in a backlash of rage from the person you tell 'no'.  However, it is the door way to owning your behavior.  If you are afraid to say no, there is a good possibility that you are in an unhealthy relationship.  It is also a good idea to be tactful.  I love the quote by Winston Churchill: 'Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.'  Because as a child I was very aware that I was taking my life in my hands if I said no, I struggle as an adult to develop my ability to say no. Poor health kept me from doing many things I wanted to do.  It also taught me to say no.  I remember offering to help a short lady get ready for a job interview by shortening one pair of pants for her.  I figured I had the strength to do that.  She brought me her interview pants plus 10 other pairs of pants.  I fixed the one for her interview and didn't touch the other 10 pair.  She asked me when I was going to get them done.  I reminded her that I was going to do one.  Interesting how she got angry with me and flounced, "Well, I'll just take them to someone else."  I smile and replied that would be a good idea.  I learned slowly to say no to other things.  I still struggle with this concept but the better I feel about myself, the more I value what I do, the easier it is for me to say no to a person.  I discovered that if I say yes to someone else often I am saying no to myself.  Sometimes this is OK.  I am working on making a conscious choice instead of just automatically jumping when someone tells me to jump. 

One of the challenges I had growing up was the vague hand waving or gesture that I was expected to read the other person's mind and respond appropriately.  My NM was very big at waving in a general direction with expectation that I knew what she wanted and to give it to her immediately.  KavinCoach worked at explaining to me that I can not read minds.  However, I was well trained to read body language very well. I work at not jumping at a flick of the wrist.  I learned that many times I jumped when in reality the other person could have done things for themselves.  Raising my own children I often found myself telling them to use their words.  Complete sentences and with please and thank you included were expected.  One of the things KavinCoach did for me was to give me words to use and complete sentences that I could practice.  Words and body language combined clarify what I want.  Expecting others to treat me with respect by them using complete sentence gone along ways towards building my confidence in communicating. 

Words make a huge different in any relationship.  Body language and other nonverbal cues can negate the words I say.  I work hard at making my words and nonverbal cues match.  I realize now that much of my confusion growing up was that the words didn't match the body language.  My mother would ask me, "Did I tell you today I loved you?"  She wouldn't look at me when she said this and would continue with what ever she was doing.  This would come from the same person that wouldn't bother to say hello to me.  Or she would say "How are you?" then walk into another room to do something else.  Words and behavior weren't matching.  No small wonder I felt communication didn't make sense.

The words I am currently learning to say involve sharing what I feel.  The suggested format is "I feel _________________ when you do _________________."  I am trying to identify and share with words how I feel about different situations.  I also learn that this is easier to do with someone safe, like my sister, rather than someone unsafe, like my mother.  Owning how I feel is essential to respecting myself.  Overcoming years of conditioning to feel nothing is a huge challenge and learning to use my words is a vital step to communicating with people around me.

I found this picture on the internet.  I am not sure where it originated.


8 comments:

Calibans Sister said...

Ruth, a powerful post. You are right that the word "no" is a great act of power, which is why we are so afraid to use it. When 2 yr olds learn the word, they are learning that they have a separate self and a separate will. It's an experiment with the world each time they use it. How tragic that it becomes the most frightening word for many of us as we grow older, especially in our FOOs. Thanks for this. Cal's Sis

CZBZ said...

Hi Ruth!

I really appreciate your recent posts on boundaries. I learn so much from other people when they explain how they established boundaries and the effect it had on their relationships. Especially their relationship WITH themselves!

I've read books on Boundaries but implementation is the hard part. How do do that? Because just as you described in this post about the Pants-Woman, the situation arises suddenly and then there we are, wondering what to do!

I think that over time, we gain a strong enough sense of self that we don't have to stammer around, looking for a response. I still struggle with this because saying "No" in my family-of-origin was tantamount to disrespecting God himself.

I'm able to say 'No' now because instead of getting in over my head trying to please someone, I'm aware of my limitations. Well....not completely!! Who am I trying to kid??!!! But I'm much better than I was twenty years ago, for sure.

I would not have hemmed her pants, either. That was rather "entitled" of her...wow. People take my breath away sometimes......

Hugs,
CZ

Ruth said...

Thanks Cal's Sis, I enjoyed your post today on expressions and how facial expressions speak volumes but the person can easily deny what was there. Thanks for your comment.

Thanks CZ, progress, we are making progress. I am on my second book that deals specifically with boundaries. I am beginning to believe that the more self confidence I have the easier it is for me to say this is who I am and I do not have to meet your needs to exist. Thanks for your comment.

Pearl said...

Ruth - this is your best post ever - I rarely do double-takes when I read and I almost got whiplash when I read, " However, I was well trained to read body language very well." I'm in the process of training myself to respond to dangerous body language that indicates that I'm dealing with a narcissist but also to not respond to the "read my body language so that I don't have to put myself out to speak to you, you lowly servant" body language. It's tough because I've spend most of my life reversing the two - I couldn't see the danger; I could only see the unspoken commands. Its getting easier, but right now I can't cut anyone slack because I can't risk having another narcissist in my life right now. Thanks for this post - the Winston Churchill quote is priceless - along with his "Never, never, never give up." Both so appropriate!!!

mulderfan said...

Love this post!

I have just lately realized that "No" is a complete sentence and doesn't require a rambling explanation. People tend not to argue with a simple "No", whereas excuses/explanations seem offer an invitation for people to disregard a boundary.

Huge learning curve for people pleasers!

jessie said...

Thanks for this post today. I needed to read it at the exact moment I did. I'm struggling at the moment to say no to a family member who causes me to literally quake with fear at the thought of his rage should I make him unhappy. You've given me strength.

Sue said...

Dear Ruth, i had to chuckle somewhat about the pants person. Isn't it amazing, mention that you sew, and there's always some woman coming at you with a pair of pants. (i don't even like the abominable things!)

Ruth said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the event. Life is full of humor when willing to laugh at one self. :)