Tuesday, July 10, 2012

'Perception' the TV series

Pam Young from "Make It Fun - The secret to being organized." http://www.makeitfunanditwillgetdone.com/ Daily Surprise! shared:
I can choose...to let it define me, confine me, refine me, outshine me, or I can choose to move on and leave it behind me. ~ Anonymous

Perception (TNT)
When it's on: Mondays starting July 9
Who's in it: Eric McCormack, Rachael Leigh Cook, Jamie Bamber, and LeVar Burton!
What it's about: A smart neuroscientist works with the FBI to solve tough cases! But he's also weird and suffers from paranoid schizophrenia, which drowns his career and personal relationships with a total bummer shower. One day, television will write a procedural about a well-adjusted person of average intelligence who solves cases by following the rules. This is not one of those days. 
http://www.tv.com/news/our-10-most-anticipated-new-shows-for-summer-2012-28786/
McCormack portrays Dr Geoffrey Pierce, "an eccentric neuroscientist who uses his unique outlook to help the federal government solve complex cases. With an intimate knowledge of human behavior and a masterful understanding of the mind, this quirky, crime-solving professor pulls lessons from an odd and imaginative view of the world."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perception_%28U.S._TV_series%29

Hollywood likes to be a mover and shaker of ideas.  Sometimes it really bothers me when they start portraying mental illness. 'Perception' is a new TV series that the main character is a schizophrenic professor that helps a former student solve crimes.  I watched the pilot last night.  There were several things that they portrayed that functioned like red flags to me.  One of the minor characters that is mentally ill can no longer understand language so picks up quickly on lies.  I guess the message was that no matter how mentally ill you are you can be used for something.  Defining human beings by their illness is always a slippery slope.  Another concept is the theory that his delusions are just his subconscious trying to help him solve the problem.   Almost portraying that all delusions are just the mind trying to help us.  Unfortunately, some delusions and our own mind is sometimes trying to harm us. In the class the professor teaches, he portrays the idea that there really is no such thing as reality.  Kind of a twisted 'what ever you perceive is real or not.'  But then the show illustrates his dependency on a young student to tell him if the person he is talking to is real or not.  This part reminded me strongly of the movie "A Beautiful Mind."   They also have the character off his medication.  The series down plays how dangerous such a choice can be.  Not using medication for serious illnesses can have a difficult backlash.  Yes, I believe this country is over medicated.  I had an up close and personal experience of a grandmother who was a legal drug addict.  However, just quitting taking medication used to help balance the brain chemicals can cause extremely negative back lash.  There are pros and cons to this but the over all feeling is that people view mental illness as a form of entertainment.  When some people found out I had multiple personality they seemed to expect me to 'say something in multiple.' Like I was a performing dog that could do cute tricks.  On one hand, I appreciate awareness being raised that mental illness does not make me less of a person.  But I also hate the feeling of people thinking that my struggle with mental illness is a parlor trick for their amusement.  I think I will continue to watch the show for a while because I am kind of curious where the director will take the concept. 

4 comments:

mulderfan said...

Sadly, the world is not that different from when they had freak sideshows at the circus.

So many in AA speak of feeling different or not fitting in when they were growing up.

When will we celebrate our differences?

Ellen said...

Hmm...not sure about this one - I might take a look. Did you ever watch the series Monk, Ruth, about a detective with OCD? I liked the show - the character was extremely likeable, gentle, and smart, and always solved the mystery - despite his fears and sometimes strange behaviour.

Sometimes Hollywood does portray mental illness in the most ridiculous ways though, for sure.

Laurel Hawkes said...

Thanks, Ruth, for your perspective. It's helpful. I always appreciate those who are willing to help me separate truth from fiction.

Ruth said...

@mulderfan - Consequences of feeling different show up in the blogs I read. I still feel different but less alone and that being different isn't a bad thing.

@Ellen - I tried watching Monk. Too many of his behaviors reminded me of myself. I am only allowed to check a locked door twice. Mental illness is difficult for many people to accept. It is like the brain becomes your own worse enemy.

@Laurel - You're welcome. :) Other people may view it differently, learning to share my perspective.