Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Drawback to No Complaining

When I first read the No complaining Challenge, I thought what a cool idea but my inner red flags shot sky high.  Red flags saying, "Not always a good idea."  Integration did not mend the lag between something seems ok and my mind processing why it isn't.   On the surface, no complaining or whining makes sense.   However, the red flag came from the story I wrote a couple of days ago.  http://weareone-ruth.blogspot.com/2012/07/consequences.html The professor that insisted I read a short story about lap dancing and tried bullying me into reading by saying I was the only one complaining.  She made my objection to the content trivial and my 'complaint' unreasonable since no one else complained. 

From the Free dictionary there is this definition.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/complain
com·plain 
intr.v. com·plained, com·plain·ing, com·plains
1. To express feelings of pain, dissatisfaction, or resentment.
2. To make a formal accusation or bring a formal charge.
This is the second entry
complain [kəmˈpleɪn]vb (intr)
1. to express resentment, displeasure, etc., esp habitually; grumble
2. (foll by of) to state the presence of pain, illness, etc., esp in the hope of sympathy she complained of a headache
I believe that the second entry that is intended for the ban - habitual grumbling.  Expressing feelings of pain, dissatisfaction, or resentment is essential in stopping being hurt by others.  As a child, I would complain about any food cooked with bell peppers.  If I complained, I was told, "He who complains has too much."  For a week or two I would be placed on pioneer food, bread and water.  I learned not to complain about the food or my stomach hurting.  I know that my parents were aware of how much my stomach was hurting because they would give me my grandmothers prescription stomach medicine.  I learned to suffer in silence.  I continued to suffer in silence.  When I married I did not cook with any bell pepper in my food.  About 10 years ago my stomach problems landed me in the hospital more than once.  I finally had a procedure done to alleviate some of the problems swallowing.  I learned that when the doctor rushes you straight to the hospital and you fly through the ER without slowing down.  This is not a good thing.  Tests showed that the inner lining of my stomach was completely gone and only the outer stomach wall held me together.  This is extremely serious.  Due to some confusion it took several days to realize that the pain I experienced since I was a child coincided with where the damage was done.  The doctor was totally baffled that I hadn't been complaining for years about the pain.  I agreed that it did hurt but I was taught not to complain.  I took medication for quite a while to heal the damage.  After a year,  I told the doctor that I had no idea how good I could feel.  Once my stomach was healed, it felt wonderful.  Other situations in my life occurred that also taught me that sometimes I do need to state when I feel pain, dissatisfaction, or resentment.   
Another occasion happened when I worked at an university art department.  A male student came to my office dressed in a robe and asked me to take nude pictures of him.  One, I was an employee.  Two, no way did I want to shoot pictures of him dressed or nude.  I made it very clear to him that not only was I not interested but that he had offended me.  He then accused me of not being a "real" photographer.  I let him know that had nothing to do with my refusal.  I wasn't going to do it.  I then took it to the next step and made a formal complaint to student services.  Someone asked me if I was making too big a deal of the situation.  I wasn't really all that angry and why was I pushing this?  My answer was simple.  He is going to do this again.  When he does, I want it on record that he has done it already which sets up a pattern of behavior.  Sure enough with in 6 months he had done this with two other female students and the male student was banned from taking any more classes at the school.  My formal complaint of my experience set in motion the documentation that stopped a sexual predator.  Once he was blocked from attending, more stories came out that were unreported.  A blanket "NO Complaining" is a bullies dream environment.  Any objection of inappropriate or cruel behavior is countered with "NO Complaining."  I decided that KavinCoach took a lot of effort to teach me how to complain about how I was treated.   
Now I do believe that it is fairly useless to complain about something and then choose to do nothing about it.  Have you ever heard someone complain about a particular store and then continue to shop there.  Or maybe complain about an unreliable friend and still try to continue to rely on them.  Whining about not liking something but continuing to live the same way, doing the same things, that get them what they don't want.  Yup, that is something to consider.  If I have a complaint, am I willing to do something about it?
A complaint can act like a shield. 

10 comments:

Pearl said...

Excellent post! It's so true that a complaint-free environment allows bullies free rein! Most of us raised by narcissists were taught not to complain - what a dreadful inconvenience to our Nparents... We weren't supposed to have needs, desires...

mulderfan said...

A pet peeve of mine was working with people who constantly complain about the job or boss but never look for work elsewhere.

IMO Complaining accompanied by action to rectify the situation is a good thing! But like you, as a kid, I definitely wouldn't dare complain!

Calibans Sister said...

Ruth, I think there's a difference between "complaining, whining, grumbling," and standing up fr youself, identifying unacceptable treatment by others, and drawing clear boundaries and policing them firmly. Narcs and their ilk will ALWAYS try to make you feel that pointing out mistreatment is "bellyacheing" (apt in your post!). Don't believe it for a second. FIGHT the Pollyanna Imperative.

Cal's Sis

Evan said...

Ruth, I really appreciate this post. After reading yesterday’s post (No Complaining Challenge) I came away from it thinking “Boy, it would be nice to focus on more positive things instead of what’s not right.” But almost immediately I started to feel uncomfortable. Red flags. I followed the link and saw the memo and realized it was a challenge I would not consider taking on.

We were raised to be compliant and accommodating. When staying with the PM, she was all about appearances, especially when it came to us, and so smiles were a must We were on display. She proudly displayed a sign on the fridge saying “No Whining Zone,” which basically meant “keep your mouth shut or suffer the consequences.” A bully’s dream environment!

So a ban on not complaining feels really triggery and oppressive. As much as I try to see it for the positivity it’s meant to be, I cannot. The No Whining or Complaining translate as “Don’t speak, what you say doesn’t matter” and the No Frowning, Only Hugs, Smiles and Warm Fuzzy Feelings translate as “You’re not allowed to voice your pain, let alone feel it in the first place.”

This is just another example of how toxic parenting is instilled so deeply. I’d like to maybe consider another challenge…that for maybe 10 days whenever we feel there is something to complain about, we step back, pinpoint what exactly is upsetting and make a healthy choice to change the situation. Too often it’s too easy to take the passive route and assume it will be this way forever.

Thank you for posting this. You’ve given us a lot to think about and with this new challenge, our work is cut out for us! Also, I’m very sorry that you weren’t listened to as a child and suffered through a very serious health issue for so many years.

Comforting hugs,
Evie

Ruth said...

Thanks Toto, good point.

I agree mulderfan, complaint with out action is annoying. Sorry you had rough things happen that taught you brutally not to complain.

Cal's sis I totally agree that standing up for yourself is not the same thing as complaining. Unfortunately, as a child I was told that it was. I love your "FIGHT the Pollyanna Imperative."

Excellent comment Evie, thank you for sharing your experience of the negative side of "No complaining." I think recognizing the dangers of a blanket rule is important. Thanks.

Claire said...

There's definitely a difference between productive complaining (to process something or act to change it) and whining. I think many people confuse whining with the more productive forms of complaint. I've been involved in a lot of political protest this year and believe me, complaining is very important in some situations!

The no-complaints challenge contains an image that says something to the effect of "only hugs, smiles, and warm feelings allowed." OMG. Negative feelings are normal when something not-so-great happens! Squashing them is NOT healthy! I'm totally on board with watching yourself for needlessly negative patterns and getting to the bottom of them, but not for repressing negative feelings (and facial expressions) at all costs. :(

Reading about your childhood experiences horrifies me. Abuse on such a fundamental level is monstrous. I'm so glad that your stomach is healed up now!

Ruth said...

Thank you Claire. I agree about whining. I think a ban on whining is a great idea. However, when bad things happen, people need to speak up.

Ellen said...

Thank God you learned to 'complain' Ruth!

In my family I was also told 'no complaining', so it raises red flags for me when I hear that.

I actually think it is more dangerous not to complain, than to express negative feelings. They have to go somewhere, so verbally expressing is mostly preferable to acting out, IMO.

Cassandra said...

I remembered reading something about a "no complaining" challenge in a women's magazine a couple of years ago, so I just looked it up. It was in Good Housekeeping: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/wellness/stop-complaining

The author also came to realize that some complaining is good!

Ruth said...

Thanks Ellen. I am thankful that I learned to complain. ;)

Great article Cassandra, I love the conclusion on the last page. I like to express the good, the bad and the ugly hopefully on middle ground.