Monday, April 28, 2014

Examples of how others live

http://www.tickld.com/x/if-your-friends-ever-say-they-have-adhd-just-show-them-this

The author of this blog post gives insight to how a person with ADHD lives.  A paragraph explains the complexity of distractions from the slightest thing.  As I read the article I thought how I would react to a similar situation.  Today, I found it. 

I was waiting in the doctor's office for my yearly check up.  As I waited for the doctor, I read the instructions placed next to the door about how to exit in case of a fire.   Then my mind went on to, what if an explosion happened in the front lobby where I need to exit.  I looked around the tiny room and saw that the window was small and high but I figured out that I could break it open and crawl out by standing on the counter next to the sink under the window.  I realized it would not be an easy task for me.  I then wondered what would I do if a gun man came in.  I decided I would grab my purse off the counter and hide behind the examination table.  The space was big enough for me to fit and with my belongings hidden it would appear to be an empty room.  I worked out several options all in the 10 minutes of waiting for the doctor to come in for the exam.  None of the emergencies happened.  But I was prepared with all this different possible escapes.  That gives a brief look at what goes on when living with PTSD. 

Please, be patient with those that seem to be staring out into space, they may be wondering about the inner workings of a door knob or planning their escape. 

No comments: