Friday, July 11, 2014

Children belong to their future

“Children do not constitute anyone’s property: they are neither the property of their parents nor even of society. They belong only to their own future freedom.”
– Mikhail Bakunin


 One of the places I lived was Washington State, USA.  I became involved with a group trying to legalize home schooling.  I found out that the constitution of that state declared children belonging to the state and the parents were guardians.  I was alarmed to learn that the state could come in and take my children at any time.  I found this very disturbing but most people in the area that I talked to knew nothing about this.  So I wasn't sure if it was propaganda used to scare parents into keeping their kids in public schools or other parents trying to frighten parents into supporting their cause.  Either way, it made me pay more attention to how my kids were treated at school and at home.  I wasn't raised as my own person.  My sister and I were treated as if we were interchangeable.  If I liked something, of course, my sister must like the same thing and vice-versa.  I liked ballet so they figured Judy did too.  Nope.  Judy loved horses and I thought there were great but not at the top of my chart.  The responsibility to raise children as individuals with their own future and own dreams and own destination is tricky.  I discovered for myself the challenge of seeing all six of my children as very different people with different needs and different dreams.  I am thankful for being involved with my adult children's lives.  I am so impressed with what each one is doing.  I am so happy for each of them.  When I cuddled them in my arms as little infants, I never dreamed how amazing their journey would be.  I'm enjoying watching my kids raise their children.  I am truly blessed. 

2 comments:

Tundra Woman said...

How fortunate your children are! The Courage it took for you to change the Legacy is inspiring, Ruth.
TW

Ruth said...

Thanks TW