Friday, July 18, 2014

Put the glass down

This was posted yesterday by my friend Colleen on her page Insight for Living's Special Needs Ministries. This is such a great reminder to give God our burdens...He never grows tired or weary and nothing is too big or heavy for Him to carry...
"Amazing story shared on our blog today...A psychologist walked around a room while teaching stress management to an audience. As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they'd be asked the "half empty or half full" question. Instead, with a smile on her face, she inquired: "How heavy is this glass of water?"
Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz.
She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, it's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my arm. If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb and paralyzed. In each case, the weight of the glass doesn't change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes."
She continued, "The stresses and worries in life are like that glass of water. Think about them for a while and nothing happens. Think about them a bit longer and they begin to hurt. And if you think about them all day long, you will feel paralyzed – incapable of doing anything."...Remember to put the glass down".

I found this on Facebook several times from several different people.  I checked Snopes and this one has reached the level of urban legend.  No one knows if it actually happened.  I appreciated one person that commented that if you hold out your arm holding nothing after an hour your arm will hurt; after several hours anyone would be uncomfortable so in one sense it is not about the water at all.  Phrases, ideas, cliches and other blips catch my attention.  Some I agree completely others I explore their nuances....hold it up to the light of questioning and challenging its validity.  I didn't used to do this.  I would read something and believe it.  Counseling taught me to challenge the obvious.  Rethink my perspective.  Does what I am reading stand up to my belief system?  Does my belief system need to be reevaluated?  I believe the story has value in grabbing my attention because he took a familiar cliche and presented a new question.  My own life was bombing a long in a downward spiral.  KavinCoach started challenging my perceptions about myself, my relationships, my past, my very existence.  To change, I first needed to be aware of what I am doing.  I needed to be aware that I am still holding the water and maybe I need to find a spot to set it down or if I don't want it, throw it away. 

Duck duck

No comments: