Sunday, July 20, 2014

If you're going through Hell....

Keep going.

Truly this is a title of a book I found on my daughter's book shelf.  First the title then the cover caught my attention.  www.amazon.com/Youre-Going-Through-Hell-Keep-ebook/dp/B007UQB0ZG/


I almost quit reading it several times.  Main reasons is Doug Giles liked name dropping.  Totally useless to me since I didn't know most of the names he dropped.  Plus it was written in 2009 and many of the names are no longer in the news.  I also felt like he confused brutal with strong.  That is a sore spot for me.  I learned from some amazing people that quiet strength is firm but not brutal.  However, every time I put the book down saying I was going to stop reading I was inspired to pick it up again.  The feeling I got was stop looking for a reason to be offended and read what he has to say.  He has plenty to say. 

The one part that really caught my attention was when he pointed out that in the pearl of great price parable how it is worded. 
Matthew 13:45-46
 45 ¶Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:
 46 Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.

I thought yea, yea we should seek what is of great price.  Nope that is not what Giles pointed out.  He pointed out the the merchant is the kingdom of heaven.  The kingdom of heaven is often a metaphor for Christ.  Giles pointed out that Christ is looking for goodly pearls and gave all He had for us.  

What a switch up.  Christ is looking for us.  He gave all that he had to purchase us.  Christ wants us in His kingdom.  The difference is outstanding.  

I believe that Christ died for the sins and suffering of the world.  I also believe that Christ saves us one at a time.  I believe that if I were the only person on Earth He would still offer His atonement to me.  Christ gave all that he had to purchase me.  What a concept.  

My daughter is letting me borrow the book.  There is a lot more in there that is really quite surprising in his perspective.  Giles believes in Christ and is not afraid to say it.  



1 comment:

Judy said...

Wow... never thought of it that way before, and it makes so much more sense.