Saturday, July 12, 2014

What you have left

Oh, my friend, it’s not what they take away from you that counts.  It’s what you do with what you have left. — Hubert Humphrey


I thought about this.  During counseling, I spent a lot of sessions acknowledging the damage in my life.  I remember one quote that I read on FB, "You can't over come everything you face but you can't over come anything that you don't face."  I had to face my past.  I had to remember enough to acknowledge crap happened.  I couldn't let it go until I knew what I was letting go of.  My brain tried to protect me when I was too little to process what happened to me by suppressing my memories.  I spent years remembering and facing my past.  KavinCoach reminded me often, "If you lived through it, you can remember it."  Those sessions were difficult and the pain as fresh as the day those events happened.  But my past does not define me.  My future is mind to mold as I desire. What I do with what I have left is far more important than what was taken from me in the first place.


2 comments:

TR said...

I like that quote. In a way, what we have left is all ours to own.

Ruth said...

I agree TR