Thursday, July 31, 2014

Self Neglect

"If you want the rainbow, then you must have the rain." ~Annette Hanshaw

But I shouldn't rain on my own parade.  This week I had a routine medical procedure that ended up being minor surgery.  I rested that day then jumped right into setting up the class room getting ready for school on Monday.  Tonight my friend pointed out maybe I should rest.  I didn't.  Not even 24 hours.  I didn't exercise but I did lift the printer that weighed over 20 lbs (9 kg).  Tonight I am craving pop corn.  So not helpful when my insides have recently been purged and inspected.  Give myself a break.  Rest already.  I find I still struggle with self care.  I am improving as long as my "To Do" list isn't too lethal.  I am experimenting with my sleep using white noise.  It is starting to help.  I am sleeping more of my night.  DH did not like one of the sounds.  So I spent some time playing the different sounds until we found some that we both like.  Not to good in the going to sleep part but seems to be working on the staying to sleep once I finally get there.  If you want to read some more on sleep I wrote a couple of post on my new web page.  http://ptsd-acceptingcopingthriving.com/2014/07/17/sleep/ 
The newest thing I am trying is waking up a half hour earlier but not get out of bed.  Spend some time stretching and thinking about my day and what I want done by the end of the day.  Only tried it two days but I am noticing I am feeling fairly relaxed for the week before school starts.  I wrote on my notebook that this years motto is "Embracing the Challenge."  Reminder to self, self care is a worthy challenge.  I'll have popcorn in a week....I love popcorn one of my favorite comfort foods.



All in a flap about the rain.
 

 

No comments: