Saturday, July 19, 2014

Roller Coaster Ride

EEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have pictures because I didn't bring my camera.  I planned to be too busy playing.  When I was a kid, I LOVED roller coasters.  The first roller coaster I took my children on was Space Mountain at Disneyland.  Then came counseling.  Then integration.  My world was turned inside out and upside down.  I was terrified of everything.  I hadn't been on a roller coaster since the day I took my kids to Disneyland over 20 years ago.  My son-in-law asked very politely if I would like to go on some of the roller coasters.  King's Island didn't have just one.  I took the roller coaster challenge.  I decided to start with the tallest - Diamondback https://www.visitkingsisland.com/rides/Thrill-Rides-12-14-11-44/Diamondback It was right next to the children's ride that I rode with my grandson.  I knew there was a potential of a complete melt down on this ride.  Part of thriving, to me, is doing the things that I enjoyed before integration.  Roll up my emotional sleeves and lets go to it.  First the wait......lines are long, it is summertime and the ride is popular.  We finally get on and the ride begins with a long climb up and up and up and up and then the crest.  There is a portion of the drop down that my body was in free fall. I was no longer in my seat but I didn't feel the restraints either.  My heart rocketed into over time.  All the physical reactions of terror....or excitement.....I could choose.  What POWER!!!!!!!! I could choose what this meant for me and I had a split second to do it.  After a quick thought that it is bad for business to actually hurt anyone, I chose EXCITEMENT.....up, down, zooming, and swooping around a track.  It seemed to go forever and over in seconds all at the same time.  I felt tears on my face.  Not crying in fear but reaction to the wind pummeling my eyes.  The same wind whipped my hair into a frenzy.  My heart was pounding; WOW what a ride!

What did I want to do next.  S-I-L offered me any ride. 

Next, we tackled Racer, an old fashion wooden roller coaster.  This one didn't have the thrill factor of Diamondback but it tugged at emotional memories of childhood coasters.  https://www.visitkingsisland.com/rides/Thrill-Rides-12-14-11-44/The-Racer.  Dipping into childhood is risky for me.  However, all I came up with were happy emotions and fragmented fun memories.  It was fun but I just discovered that I am a bit of a thrill seeker. 

On to the Beast.... https://www.visitkingsisland.com/rides/Thrill-Rides-12-14-11-44/The-Beast  This one was twice as long as any of the other roller coasters; plus, it included dark tunnels and raging speed of 65 mph (105 km per hour). So cool.  I saw my picture after that one.  I regretted that my daughter was holding my purse and I couldn't buy it....the very essence of pure bliss on my face.  I loved it. 

Next to Beast stood Vortex.  https://www.visitkingsisland.com/rides/Thrill-Rides-12-14-11-44/Vortex I've always been afraid of rides that go upside down.  My S-I-L checked in with me, did I want to try it?  So far, I only rode on coasters that I had done something similar when I was a kid.  Isn't part of thriving going beyond what I did before?  I took the challenge.  Shake - rattle - roll tumbling over and over in my seat I ended up bumping my ear in the ride.  No fun getting hurt but I did it and loved this one too.   My body was shook up but I was still standing and loving what I was feeling - Exhilarated. 

We were supposed to meet up with people at a restaurant at the park when we arrived, the doors were locked.  I looked at my S-I-L...I apologized for making him miss meeting up with his friends.  He smiled and said we had time for one more roller coaster.  I felt like a teenager staying out after curfew.  Oh yea....one more....decisions....decisions....all over the park were signs about their latest roller coaster the Banshee.  The sun went down.  It was dark.  We lined up.  My heart was already jumping around with anticipation.  This is an inverted roller coaster. 
I included the link to the video....if images bother you, skip the video....but I was set, ready to go.  All my senses were acutely aware - another wait. 

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/banshee/the-latest/video

We get strapped in.  We were only held in by the shoulder harness and lap belt.  Our feet swung off the ground.  The workers checked every person to see that all the harnesses are locked properly.  They even had music with screeching to add another component to the ride.  Ready-set-GOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I can still close my eyes and feel the sensation of sweeping into the night by this giant roller coaster seat.  A thrill seekers dance orchestrated by the coaster designers intended to push the thrill factor to screaming pitch.  They succeeded.  What a ride that was.  I loved it.  Clambering off I chortled that was one I would do again......it was 10:00 PM.   Fireworks started and the pilgrimage to the front of the amusement park brought the evening to a close.  We gave up our cell phones so we wouldn't loose them on the rides so we scanned the crowds for my daughter and his friends.  I started to feel nervous then reminded myself I trusted my S-I-L this far I trusted that he would know how to join up with everyone again.  At last, we were all gather together, I chattered and shared my excitement.  I so appreciated the wonderful evening to thrive.  I don't need to ride a roller coaster to thrive.  I choose to do what I want to do and fear had no say in it.  That to me is thriving.