Monday, January 7, 2013

'C' is a passing grade

"If you don’t have time to do it right,
when will you have time to do it over?"
- John Wooden 




  This is the whip that drove many a person into a frenzy of doing things perfectly. Sometimes good enough is just good enough. Doing it over is not needed...doing it perfectly is not needed. Deep breath. 'C' work allows time to put my energy into other things.

When I was taking college classes, my DH asked me why I always had to have an 'A' in the class.  I thought about it for awhile.  I analyzed my thinking and came up with an answer he didn't expect.  I didn't need the 'A', I just expected more out of the class than the teacher required.  The 'A' just came as a result of meeting my own demands.  I pushed myself to exhaustion constantly trying to do more and more and more and.... you get the idea.  The first fallacy of the statement by Wooden is that you have to do things 'right.'  Mediocre washing of dishes still gets them clean enough that the health department isn't called in.  Beating back the dust bunnies once a month instead of twice a day frees up lots of time to do other things.  Prioritizing, delegating, not doing some things, are all valuable keys to living the life I want to live.  One of my priorities is to work on improving my physical health with a better exercise program.  I recognize that I am not doing it perfectly right but I am doing it good enough that my body is telling me with little aches and pains that I am working muscles that haven't done much in a long time.  Today my daughter took my 'before' pictures for the impossible challenge.  I don't even want to look at the pictures.  I caught myself trying to suck my belly in for the pictures.  I am sitting her chuckling over my unconscious desire to look good.  I am a little short for my weight and my idea of improving how I feel rather than how I look.  To do this exercise program, I am going to have to let somethings go or do them less carefully.  However, today I realized that I have a few goals that are not so visible but are still very important to me.  My tendency to hyper-focus on one thing to exclusion to all else helps me sometimes.  I am learning to work with how I function instead of trying to fit my round peg into a too small square hole.  I am looking around for a way to make my goals work for me.  I am back at work today so I no longer have all day to work out my plans.



3 comments:

mulderfan said...

I always wanted an "A" to impress my dad. Didn't work!

The last university course I took offered a "Pass/Fail" option instead of a mark. I took the option and got a "Pass". Took the pressure off completely!

Ruth said...

Good for you mulderfan. :)

Judy said...

The problem with the well will you have time to do it over is that being raised as we were we always had to do it over no matter how we did the first time. No matter what, we would be wrong, so our sense of doing it right the first time was truly impossible to achieve. I'm excited for you on your new adventure. Go you!