Thursday, January 17, 2013

Today's quote on my igoogle

"When life's problems seem
overwhelming, look around and see
what other people are coping with.
You may consider yourself fortunate."
- Ann Landers


I took pictures for a group that supported special needs kids, at every event were oxygen bottles, feeding tubes, and wheel chairs.  I joke about having a cheap shot body but I know plenty of others that are much worse off than I am.  When I found out I had cancer 11 years ago, I passed out the first time I said the words.  Surgery and two years later my oncologist said the magical words, "I don't get to say this to very many of my patients, I don't need to see you any more."  I smiled and replied, "Don't take this personally but if I never see you again, I will be delighted."  Cancer hasn't come back in 11 years.  Now, I have extra junk in my head.  I joked more than once that I had to have rocks in my head to do some of the things I have done.  (Costumes for 9 plays in one years was not one of my brighter moves.)  For some reason, when I first found out over 2 years ago, I chose to ignore it.  Because of location they wanted to monitor but not do anything right away.  I didn't go back for the follow up MRIs.  Too complicated to explain.  When my audiologist let me know that my hearing loss increased, I had a choice to make.  Continue to ignore what was happening or take action.  I couldn't remember the name of the doctor I saw.  I did remember where the office was.  I walked in and asked the charming receptionist, who did I need to see?  Little information from me and voila.  I am now waiting.   Waiting sucks.  Now tension head aches seem sinister and my sleeping is shot.  Fortunately, I don't get head aches very often.  I do have the peace of knowing that the tumor is relatively new.  I had brain MRI scans in 1987 and some where around 1995.  No tumors showed up in either of those.  I think part of my frustration was 2013 looked so bright and exciting.  For a Christmas present, I signed up for a 5K mud run and amped up my exercise program to be ready for it.  I was so excited for this year.  I feel a little like taking off on a race and running full tilt into a break wall less than 100 ft (30 m) down the road.  Or maybe it is just a 2x4 to get my attention.  Hard to know.  I am keeping a friend in my prayers that had surgery recently for cancer.  She is not blogging yet so I hope and pray.  Thanks to everyone that are keeping me in your thoughts and prayers.  I feel comforted.  Thank you.






3 comments:

mulderfan said...

I often tell people at AA meetings that we can't always feel happy but we can always be optimistic. That's the way I feel about you, Ruth.

Sending hugs and optimistic vibes your way!

Love, mulderfan

Judy said...

Life was never meant to be easy; you must be doing something right.

Ruth said...

Thank you mulderfan. NewCounselor did a lot to help me focus on optimism. Thanks for the hugs and vibes.


Thanks for the reminder Judy.