Friday, January 11, 2013

Weird Humor

I noticed that some of the things that I laugh at, do not fall in the category of what others may think is funny. 

Today I was filing papers at work and glimpsed a list before I saw the title: 

1.   If I like it, it's mine.
2.   If it's in my hand, it's mine.
3.   If I can take it from you, it's mine.
4.   If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
5.   If it's mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way.
6.   If I'm doing or building something, all the pieces are mine.
7.   If it looks just like mine, it's mine.
8.   If I think it's mine, it's mine.
9.   If it's yours and I steal it, it's mine.
10. If it breaks, it's yours.

My lightening thought that this sounded a lot like some people I knew.  Then I read the title: 

Toddler Property Laws
http://www.rscm-bristolswindon.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69:a-toddlers-property-laws&catid=43:humour&Itemid=60

I found it posted in several locations listed as humor so I am not the only one that finds this funny. 

While walking with my sister a while back, I theorized that many of my mother's behaviors reminded me of a toddler.  This list sharpened that image.  I am shaking my head over the fear I used to have of her and her dictates.  Not any more.  Now, I feel terribly sad that I can never have a real, open, and honest relationship with her.  I wonder if it is like a feeling a parent has when they find out that their child is different from other children and probably never going to grow up.  I am learning that for me tears and chuckles intermingle.

 

2 comments:

jessie said...

I have seen this before, and I also found it funny.

When I started doing research into narcissism, I was often struck by how childish the behavior is. And, by chance, I happened to have a three year old at the time. The similarities between him and my NM were amazing. But I also sadly realized that my son would grow out of this phase, but NM never would.

Scatha said...

:D:D:D

This is SO true and SO funny :D

Thanks, Ruth! :)