Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Reverse Engineering Emotions

I read a lot of other people's blogs.  Many have a variety of experiences with counselors/psychologist/psychiatrist.  I decided that I was very fortunate with my first counselor.  His ability to talk my language was amazing.  He knew that my back ground was engineering and computers.  He would use examples from that part of my life to help me make heads and tails of emotions.  Lifebegins45 wrote in her post about the challenges of dissociation and reconnecting to emotions.  http://lifebegins45.wordpress.com/2013/01/07/i-know-its-not-easy/ She discussed the value of validation.  KavinCoach validated my emotions.  He also explained that I reacted so rapidly that I totally missed the emotion I was feeling.  In my life, reacting in split second timing was the difference between appeasing my abuser or getting back handed.  He actually spent an entire session helping me reverse engineer an emotion I hadn't realized I felt.  As a kid growing up, emotion was a luxury I couldn't afford wasting my time on.  If I did say I felt a certain way, I was told that was not how I felt.  Please understand, it did not matter what emotion it was happy, sad, excited, gloomy, my mother decided for me what I should feel and she would tell me that what I thought I felt was wrong.  Unfortunately, I did some of that myself to my kids.  I worked at doing things differently but didn't know where to begin.  Now, I can validate my kids emotions and mine.  Interesting thing for me it was easier to analyze the negative emotions.  Anger brings feelings of discomfort.  KavinCoach taught me to recognize anger.  Then he taught me to look for the feeling that came before the emotion anger.  If it was mild, the emotion probably applied to the moment.  However, if my emotional response was significantly out of proportion to the event that caused it then KavinCoach encouraged me to search my memories to the original hurt, fear, or frustration,  the original trigger.  I didn't think it was possible but I discovered through repeated experience that when I found the source of the toxic discomfort.  When I acknowledged and validated what I felt, it alleviated the emotion about the current event.  Now, I acknowledge feelings of discomfort much sooner.  I am willing to go on emotional safaris hunting down which emotions I am feeling.  I recognized that some times I was feeling a veritable soup of varying emotions at the same time.  For instance, anger masked hurt, fear and/or frustration.  Sometimes hurt and fear played off each other. Many times I felt frustrated by my fears and why couldn't I get past them.  I also started recognizing many other emotions that are subtle and less demanding then anger and its cohorts.  I discovered that I battle feeling lonely.  Being raised in a family of 5 kids plus others in one house, raising 6 kids with DH, I am accustomed to noisy hubbub of constant action.  So the TV comes on to keep me company at night when I used to visit with my kids at the end of a day.  Now the interesting thing for me is years of understanding or accessing my feelings I learned the value of all my emotions.  Sadness has its place right next to joy.  Contrasting emotions bring a richness and variety that I deeply appreciate.  The rug in KavinCoaches office was the example he used to illustrate to me the value of all the emotions.  I no longer classify emotions as good or bad.  I will say comfortable or uncomfortable, enjoyable or red flags, but for me all my emotions have value.  I do not feel a need to eliminate any of them to have a healthy life.

My rug at home adds beauty playing off the light and dark colors. 

    


I often stared at the rug in KavinCoach's office. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a young child, I was derided for being "too sensitive," a "crybaby," and "wearing my heart on my sleeve." I felt so sad all the time, and tears are how a child expresses what she cannot say. But I learned to neutralize them. If I was sick or in pain, I was accused of "making a mountain out of a molehill" or "faking it." I was never validated. And so now it feels like I need permission but there's no one to ask it of. I'm the grown-up, supposed to be able to manage the emotional life that should have matured by now. It just doesn't feel safe, and I don't know how to get there.

Ruth said...

Wow, I recognize all those statements. I know I am fortunate to found KavinCoach. He was more of a parent to me than my parents ever were. He validated, taught me to recognize what I feel, and gave me permission to emotionally grow up. I don't know what your path is going to be Brace but the first step is recognizing that you want to move from where you are now to where you believe you want to go. I wish I could tell you what to do. I know for me a real break through came when I accepted that I was lied to a lot as a child. Letting go of lies gets easier with practice.

Anonymous said...

You're right, it has gotten easier since I've come to understand there was an agenda in shutting me down like that, and it was never going to be otherwise. The things they derided me with weren't true, but I had no one to stand up for me, and until this year (I'm 47) I never had the courage and strength to stand up for myself. I don't know how to teach my heart to unclench. Even with those I know are safe, I never fully let down my guard. I just don't know how. I'm also trying to figure out my likes and dislikes. It's not easy at this age to figure out things that should have been a normal part of growing up.

Ruth said...

You're right, its not easy. It helped me to watch the movie "Runaway Bride." Watch towards the end when she fixes eggs all different ways to find out what kind she likes. I know for myself part of it was giving myself permission to fail. I actually practiced at failing. I use Sudoku puzzles so it wasn't the end of the world if I messed up. Part of trying new things is some of them fail or I don't like them or it didn't turn out how I thought it would be. Took awhile but by being less afraid to fail, I am reaching higher than I ever tried to do.

Judith said...

Interesting post. I have a tendency to overlook my feelings, especially when they are negative, and react. Usually by trying to "fix" things.

It's funny to me that you posted a picture of rugs because I always focused on a rug in my room when my mother would be on one of her attacks with me. I spent a lot of time dissociating by tracing the patterns of the flowers with my eyes as my mother ranted and hit in what seemed like a distance.