Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Embrace

From Judy's blog... Pick a word. http://theprojectbyjudy.wordpress.com/2013/01/08/this-years-word/ 

New Years happens every year....over and over....people use the time to evaluate past and plan for the future.  Many people get discouraged with overwhelming resolutions that no one could possibly do with no plan on how to accomplish them.  Some of the fun stuff is the Facebook message that declares getting back to their original weigh is unreasonable, 7 pounds 10 ounces is just too thin.

Judy on the other hand is sharing the idea to have a theme for the year.  My daughter picked her dirty dozen... a word for every month.    Pick 12 words. 

Did I have a theme for living?  What's my Motto?

I  worked hard at changing my life for many years because I didn't like the dark emotional void I lived in.  I wanted more out of life than dragging around an overweight body and breathing.  I thought long term of a complete internal make over.  Humbling to learn that the problems with my life were about my choices and living a life distorted from childhood.  I did make many good choices but my default was to slide back into a dark void of barely surviving.  Slightest jar in my stress caused ripples of distress.  Now I am turned inside out and upside down and I love where I am.  I enjoy embracing grandkids, my kids, DH, healthy living, exercise....

I think it represents the changes I made and continue to make.  I remember my first day in NewCounselors office.  My first statement to him was don't touch me.  I didn't want any physical contact.  Now I want to wrap my arms around the world and hug it.  I discovered on my journey that along the way I was taught that clinging was embracing.  I am here to say for me they are quite different.  I dislike clinging....implying forcing another to stay in an embrace.  Embrace means you will let go of the things that want to be let go.  And hold the things that are dear to your heart.  I am curious how this will go for me.  My motto, I embrace those people and things that bring joy to my life, I let go of those people and things that harm me.  I will be interested in how this theme will influence my year.  What's your motto or word?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to think of a word or phrase, and I haven't been able to pin one down. The only thing that comes to mind is an image of groping in the dark through a strange house alone, trying to find the light switch. There has to be one somewhere. But what if the electricity is off? I'm over thinking this.

Ruth said...

I had to think about it for several days. From your description, I would guess Seeking. Just one possibility.

Anonymous said...

Last night getting ready for bed, a word came to mind that seemed right: Transition. I feel like I'm transitioning from being a nobody, to being a somebody, and trying to figure out just who that somebody is. Thanks, Ruth, this is a helpful exercise.

Ruth said...

Transitioning is a cool word. Cheering you on. :)