Monday, January 17, 2011

I have a Dream:

Martin Luther King to me is one of the Nation's amazing people.  His Dream is spreading to many that can see his vision.

Bellalife on facebook posted his quote. 
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. ~~Martin Luther King, Jr.  http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/thebellalife
I knew I had made progress with my kids at little league years ago when my son pointed out the guy in the red shirt as his coach.  The man was the only black man there but my son identified him by the color of his shirt, not his skin.  
Humans tend to categorize everything including people.  I cringe when people say they don't want contact with this group or another.  The hardest for me is the rising of those that don't want to be associated with the crazies.  Because you see, I am one of the crazies.  I am less crazy now than I was 7 years ago.  People are people and they make poor choices.  Just because a person with blue eyes make a bad choice doesn't mean all people with blue eyes will make the same bad choice.  Just because a crazy goes on a killing spree doesn't mean all crazies will go on a killing spree.  I have a dream that I will be judge by what I do today and not what I have done to survive for most of my life.  PTSD is tough enough without an out cry that every person with PTSD be monitored like a criminal.  I didn't commit the crime.     

3 comments:

mulderfan said...

Buddha tells us to respond not react. Sadly, right now people are simply reacting without putting their brain in gear first!

My DD has mental health issues and my own brother abandoned us just when she needed him most. Would he have done the same if she had cancer? I doubt it!

Human nature at its worst!

Ruth said...

Excellent question. I once told KavinCoach that I would rather have cancer again than to go through what I have done. He felt that clarified my understanding of how hard it is to have a PTSD diagnosis.

Anonymous said...

Prejudices seem to disappear when one learns the truth. Those who prejudge tend to be lazy. They are those who don't want to make the effort to learn for themselves. They would rather have someone else do the investigative work for them and blindly accept that opinion. If someone else tells them what to do and think and believe, then they don't have to accept responsibility for their beliefs. "My daddy says..." "My mom says..." "My professor/politician/newsperson says..."

Thanks for educating me about mental illness. Learning from an expert makes a difference, but I also did a lot of my own homework, and from what I learned, I knew I could trust you.
~Judy