Tuesday, January 25, 2011

what's in a name

Imagine having a name for something then a small committee of people decide that name will no longer be used.   The word so describes someone you know, but darn it, somebody else decided that for whatever reason they don't want to use it.  In this case it is narcissistic.  If you do not know a narcissistic personality type person the rest of this blog will make little sense so enjoy cruising a couple of fun pages.
http://weareone-ruth.blogspot.com/2011/01/kids-point-of-view.html
http://weareone-ruth.blogspot.com/2010/12/shopping.html

I am including the links of some excellent people that keep up on the happenings with narcissistic, simply because they have one in their life.  Narcissistic behavior in my opinion is never recognized by the person acting that way.  I call it their Mary Poppin attitude that they are "practically perfect" in every way.  But it is a great way to connect with others dealing with a set of behaviors that is hard to describe any other way.  Saying that you have an NM with an EF so you are considering going NC, makes complete sense.  I added links for the exact details of what is happening.

First read about it here:

comment on original post below:
http://narcissists-suck.blogspot.com/2010/12/more-on-removal-of-npd-from-newest-dsm.html

Origianal post
http://narcissists-suck.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-two-cents-on-npd-being-removed-from.html

Other bloggers picked up the idea and added their comments.  This one from Suburban Black Sheep is one of my favorites:
http://suburbanblacksheep.blogspot.com/2011/01/savage-chickens.html

I guess I am coming from a different place because changing the name doesn't change the behavior.  Seven years ago I received a diagnosis of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder with Dissociation at a severe level.  Quite a mouthful.  I Googled it to get a clue what they were talking about, then I started doing the research.

Fifteen years ago they would have called me, Dissociative Identity Disorder.  Thirty years ago I would have been called Multiple Personality.  100 years ago I would have been imprisoned.  300 years ago, probably burned as a witch.  Well, there are still a few that wish burning of crazies was still legal.  Every time someone does something insanely stupid the news broadcast to the world that all crazies should be watched.  Bummer.  Being integrated for 2 years doesn't change what I was for 45 years.  I just called myself a survivor.

This perspective colors my opinion.  No matter what you call them, if you have a Narcissistic parent, you still have the same big problems.  Perhaps part of the reason 'they' want to change the name is 'they' want to take themselves out of the book where the crazies are listed.  Just a random, off the wall thought.

4 comments:

mulderfan said...

The label doesn't change what's in the package. The contents are still a little off and in my case way past their best before date too!

Actually, narcissist was the most polite name I called them. Now I don't know what I'm going to do! ;)

Ruth said...

LOL

Rose by any other name is still a rose.

Maybe calling them roses would work, they look good from a distance but those closest to them are going to get hurt. Probably why I like cactus, I know where I stand with the expectation I need to handle with care.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the reason why they want to change the name is because it has become common instead of special? Particularly as so many believe that it isn't a common disorder, but considering my group of friends, online and off, it's a lot more common than any of us would like.

Ruth said...

I think that is why Urban Black Sheep's cartoon is so funny. Beside, the people around the narcissistic are the ones who notice. Amazingly some of the other NM's sound so much like mine that it is down right spooky. To me, that is what makes it a recognizable set of behaviors. Their similarities to each other.