Monday, January 3, 2011

Kids Point of View

Perspective, it is all in the perspective.

  While I  sat in the reception area
  Of my doctor's office, a woman rolled  an elderly man
  In a wheelchair into the room.  As  she went
  To the  receptionist's desk, the man sat there, alone
  And silent. Just as I was thinking I should  make
  Small talk with  him, a little boy slipped off
  His mother's lap and  walked over to
  The wheelchair.  Placing his hand on the
  man's, he said, I know  how you feel.  My
  Mom  makes me ride in the stroller too..'

  *****

  As  I was nursing
  My baby,  my cousin's six-year-old
  Daughter, Krissy, came into the room.
  Never having seen anyone breast feed
  Before, she was intrigued and full of  all
  Kinds of questions  about what I was doing.
  After mulling over my answers, she remarked,
  'My mom has some of those, but I don't think  she
  Knows  how to use them..'

  *****

  Out bicycling
  One day with my  eight-year-old
  Granddaughter, Carolyn, I got a  little
  Wistful. 'In ten years,' I said, 'you'll  want
  To  be with  your friends and you won't go
  Walking, biking, and  swimming with me like you do
  Now. Carolyn shrugged.  'In ten  years you'll be
  Too old  to do all those things  anyway.'

  ******

  Working as a  pediatric
  Nurse, I had  the difficult assignment
  Of giving immunization shots to  children..
  One day, I entered the examining room to  give
  Four-year-old  Lizzie her needle. 'No, no, no!' she
  Screamed.  'Lizzie,' scolded her mother,  'that's
  Not polite  behavior.'  With that, the girl yelled even  louder,
  'No, thank you!  No,  thank you!

  ******

  On the way back from a Cub
  Scout meeting, my grandson innocently  said to my son,
  'Dad, I  know babies come from mommies' tummies, but
  How do they get there in the first place?'  After  my
  Son hemmed and hawed  awhile,  my grandson finally
  Spoke up in disgust, 'You don't have to make
  Up something, Dad.  It's okay if you  don't
  Know the  answer.'

  *****

  Just before I
  Was deployed to Iraq , I sat my  eight-year-old
  Son down  and broke the news to him.  'I'm
  Going to be away for a long time,' I told
  Him.  'I'm going  to Iraq .'   'Why?' he
  Asked. 'Don't you know there's a war going
  On  over  there?'

  *****

  Paul Newman
  Founded the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp for
  Children stricken with cancer, AIDS,  and blood
  Diseases. One  afternoon, he and his wife,
  Joanne Woodward, stopped by to have lunch with
  The kids.  A counselor at a  nearby
  Table,  suspecting the young patients
  Wouldn't know Newman was a famous movie star,
  Explained, That's the man who made this  camp
  Possible. Maybe  you've seen his picture on
  His salad dressing bottle?'  Blank
  Stares. ‘Well, you've probably seen his face  on
  His lemonade  carton.'  An eight-year-old girl
  Perked  up.  'How long was he  missing?'

  *****

  .... And my personal favorite is...........God's  Problem Now:

  His wife's graveside service was just barely  finished, when  there was a
  massive clap of thunder, followed by a  tremendous  bolt of lightning,
  accompanied by even more thunder rumbling in  the distance.  The little, old man
  looked at the  pastor and calmly  said,
  'Well, she's there.'


--
Friendship isn't a big thing, its a million little things.
-- Source Unknown

4 comments:

mulderfan said...

You're right, Ruth. We have to keep our perspective...and our sense of humour or the narcs have won.

Thanks for the smiles!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for starting my day with laughter. Kids do say the darndest cute things:) Have a super day, Ruth.

Jasmine

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I love your blog!

Stacey Charter said...

I just loved this post! and you are so right - perspective!! Hope your holidays were good. Thanks for the smiles today!