Monday, January 24, 2011

Made it through

Words from a special friend came to mind when I think of surviving my son's wedding, "But I would have liked to do it with more grace."  Then I remind myself that this is the first of my kids' weddings that I made it all the way through without passing out.  The passing out thing has gone on since I was 15 years old.  During times of high stress, I go all out until my body just quits on me.  This time I used tactics taught to me by KavinCoach and New Counselor that helped me focus on the joy my son and new daughter-in-law were experiencing.  I also reminded myself that I did NOT have to fix everything that I thought might go wrong.  Towards the end I focused on keeping track of one wound up grandson while my very competent family took care of cleanup.  Grandson gave Grandma a real work-out almost as good as my Zumba class.  On reviewing the day, I thought of the happiness radiating from the lovely couple.  Their friends' delight in their marriage.  The generosity of so many that shared their time, talents, and resources to make a wonderful day and a great party.  I think if there is another wedding I won't dread it quite so much.  Maybe, I just might find it enjoyable.  
Who knows?   

2 comments:

mulderfan said...

I'm glad you made it Ruth!

Don't be so hard on yourself! Weddings are always stressful for immediate families on both sides of the event.

I'm sure someone is sending blessings your way for keeping your grandson busy!

Hugs!

Ruth said...

Already thanked. It was great grandma/grandson bonding time. The next day we hung out too. We had fun.